Ironbridge Gorge Brass Band Festival

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by Roger Thorne, Jul 8, 2006.

1. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Next weekend (15th & 16th July) will see the launch of the inaugural Ironbridge Gorge Brass Band Festival which will be held at The Maws Craft Centre, Jackfield, near the world famous Ironbride in Telford. The idea of bringing Shropshires finest bands to one festival was the brainchild of Bob Scott, and after many months of preparation must be absolutely thrilled that the bands are giving their time, free of charge, to raise money for The Severn Hospice Telford Appeal. The event will feature 11 bands over the weekend with a 'Last Night of the Proms' Concert on the Saturday evening hosted by the massed bands of Jackfield (Elcock Reisen) and Porthywaen Silver.

[​IMG] . . . [​IMG]

The Worlds first Iron Bridge and the Maws Craft Centre

Bands taking part:

Saturday 15th July
    Abraham Darby Band
    The Bell Inn Brass Band
    West Mercia Police Band
    Porthywaen Youth Band
    Porthywaen Silver Band

Sunday 16th July
    Jackfield Band
    Wolverhampton Brass Band
    Newport Town Band
    The Salvation Army Band (Oakengates)
    Wem Jubilee Band
    Wellington Band

This is a great opportunity for anyone living or visiting Ironbridge next weekend to spend two days in the company of some of Shropshires finest bands, and with the exception of the Saturday evening concert all day time events are free. All the bands taking part will give a hours concert and with the inclusion of a giant all day BBQ, Beer Tent and the Maws Craft Workshops (plus a bit of sunshine) the whole weekend should prove to be a huge success. If you are in the vicinity and would like a 'blow' I'm sure you would be accommodated.

For further information regarding the Festival please call Bob Scott (Festival Organiser)
    on 07952 926550.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2006
  2. the_special_one

the_special_one New Member

what a fantastic event.being a shropshire lad its about time we have an event like this to showcase the standard of playing in the area.I played at a similar event last year in preston with longridge,freckleton and pemberton an it was a roaring success .have a good weekend guys
  3. Roger Thorne

Thank you - with the added bonus of a good weather forecast for the next couple of days it looks like the perfect ingredient will be added for a succesful event.

4. horn__blower

horn__blower Member

so how did it go? looks like it wud have been a fab weekend
  5. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

I unfortunately didn't stay for the whole day but we all really enjoyed playing there it was a lovely setting.

I had a pretty busy day with running the sports relief Mile with my daughter in Tewkesbury Glos at 11.00 the travelling straight to the event for a 1.00 start (missed the first piece) and then had to get back for my daughters birthday party and then go on to her training bands cabaret evening. So no time to check out the res of the even
  6. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Any update on this Roger - hos did the event go ?
  7. Roger Thorne

It was a fantastic event - albeit a bit on the 'warm' side! :rolleyes:

I was only there for the Sunday but all the bands played excellent programmes, and considering no-one knew what the others would be performing, only a couple of pieces were actually duplicated. It was also nice to meet fellow banders in a 'non-competitive' environment, which certainly added to the 'festival' feel of the day. I've taken a few photos so when I've got some spare time I'll pop them in the gallery.

8. Boneman

Boneman Member

What a great weekend - full of playing - I had great fun playing with Jackfield, Newport and Wem Band(s) (Thanks Rog!) - Completely knackered by the end of the day on Sunday.

I can only recall one piece that got played twice - Roger's arrangement of Do-Re-Mi!

It was a really great weekend, there was a good comaradary between the bands, who all played really well . . . .and the weather!!!
  9. masefield

masefield Member

Unless I had too many jars of the Village Idiot that was on sale from the bar I was sure that the Floral Dance was also played on more than one occasion!! Fantastic weekend can't wait for next year's festival - 14th and 15th July 2007.