Ipswich and Norwich Co-op Band have a recipe for success with a new Principal Cook.

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Robin Norman, Sep 20, 2006.

1. Robin Norman

Robin Norman Member

The Ipswich and Norwich Co-op Band are pleased to be able to announce the appointment of their new Principal Cornet, Hannah Cook.

Hannah takes up the position, joining from the Cawston Band where she held the same position. She has previously helped us out on the front row and is considered to be one of the most talented and committed bands-people in East Anglia. We are delighted that she has agreed to join the band leading the Cornet section on a permanent basis and I’m sure that she will be a great asset to us over the coming months and years.

The band are also pleased to welcome other recent new signings in the shape of Lisa Hodge on Cornet (from Martlesham Brass), Linda Kemp on Cornet (from Queensland Wind and Brass, Australia), Adrian Kirby on 2nd Euphonium (from Woodbridge Excelsior) and Claire Cornell on 2nd Trombone (from Colchester Band). We would like to take this opportunity to welcome them all to the band and to also publicly thank Stephanie Kenna, Andy Shipp and Steve Gilbey for all their hard work over the years. We wish them well in their future musical adventures but are sad to see them have to leave due to work and college commitments.

It has been a phenomenal year for the band with our highlights being a fantastic joint concert with the Whitburn Band the night before the All England Masters; a return to the East Anglian Brass Band contest and the recording of the bands’ first CD “A Suffolk Prelude” which has received much radio airtime and critical acclaim.

Despite, unfortunately, being unable to avoid ‘the drop’ to the First Section for 2007 the band are very optimistic that, with our new signings on board, we can move forward and fight for a swift return to the top flight at the areas in March. We are now in the fantastic position of only needing 1 more player (Sop - applications welcome) for a full compliment of full-time members, something that is very rare in East Anglia, and are looking forward to a gala concert with Alan Morrison in Bury St. Edmunds in October and an invitation to the Butlins Championships in January amongst our many other engagements.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Hannah Cook.Hannah
    Cook
    Norwich Co-op Band
    Principal Cornet
    Cornet
  3. Certainly seems that way (the rarely getting a full subscribed band..), certainly many of the top flight championship bands in East Anglia seem to be struggling for players at this moment in time but I am CONVINCED players are out there and once again there will be a few more bands with the same kind of subscription as Ipswich & Norwich co-op band at top flight in the very near future. The players are certainly there its just a matter of drawing them into a band! Saying all of this, the best subscribed band in this area of Cambridgeshire/Suffolk has to be Newmarket band, they get 24+ players on every rehearsal and have an extremeley stable and up and coming band, they very very rarely need in deps for concerts and I have to say how much better it is when you go to a rehearsal and you look to see 4 bass's, 3 horns, 5 euphs/baris, 3 troms and 12 cornets and this is week after week! I think it certainly helps any band to progress, and as you said it does seem so rare to have that kind of subscription in a band now

Matt

4. UncleStreaky

UncleStreaky Member

Great news all round then in East Anglia, what with Norfolk Wherry on the eve of their second visit to the National Finals having been established less than three years - yet another band with good numbers at rehearsals and gigs.

Watch out for Wherry appearing on BBC TV's Look East over the next few days following a recording tonight.

Don't listen to the moaners and groaners - the future of Banding in East Anglia is looking good!

Congrats and good work by both Ipswich and Newmarket Bands - good players and full benches are a sign of a well run band that's going somewhere. Wish you all the best!

Keep your fingers crossed for Norfolk Wherry this weekend as we represent East Anglia up north.

Mike Thorn
    Norfolk Wherry Brass - www.norfolkwherrybrass.org.uk
    Broadland Music Ltd - www.broadlandmusic.co.uk

5. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

Absolutely, best of luck to all at Wherry and Haverhill. :tup

6. Have to agree with you there about Norfolk Wherry Band, they just have such a good leadership from their M.D when I heard them at Norwich Contest for this past few years and brilliant foundations which always meant they had the ingrediants there for success.

Probably Norfolk Wherry and Haverhill are 2 of the most successful bands in E.A at the mo and best of luck for them at the nationals, get E.A back on the banding map! Our national reputation is in your hands!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. HANNAH

HANNAH Member

Just getting back on subject........

....I'd like to thank Robin and the Ipswich and Norwich Co-op Band for making me feel welcome at the band the last few weeks. I'm delighted to have been offered the position of principal cornet at this prestigious band and I hope I can play a part in the bands success for many years to come.

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank The Cawston Band for the last year or so I have spent with them. It was an enjoyable time and I wish Colin Swaep and the whole band the very best for the future.

Hannah Cook