Ipod Difficulty!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by emziesonic, Aug 2, 2009.

1. emziesonic

emziesonic Member

just after some help as I'm abit pickled on how you get DVD's you already own onto your ipod? I've tried loads but cant work it out :-?
    So does anyone have a clue how to do this?

2. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Almost all DVDs are copy-protected. You could probably find software to break the copy protection, but, of course, that would be illegal.
  3. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

You need to software to convert your DVDs "Handbrake" is a good one although there a loads available.
    Just try Google-ing
  4. HaleStorm

HaleStorm Member

use DVDShrink to get the film off the Disc onto your computer, this is legal as you are officially allowed to make one "backup" of the Disc for personal use. Then use Videora Ipod Convertor to change the Ripped DVD files to a .MOV file for your ipod, it even scales it for the screen size as you do it so it doesnt look distorted :)
  5. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

When did the law change in the UK from the propsals contained within the Gowers Review then? AFAIK although there is an intention to create a copyright exception in the UK there still is no fair use policy within UK copyright law....I could of course be wrong, and the legslation may have changed when I wasn't looking.

Check the pdfs in the links if you're really interested in the legality ;)

This is from the resposnse to the initial consultation (2nd pdf in the above link):

Rights holders representing music, film, television, publishing and photographic industries generally supported the introduction of a format shifting exception, but thought that it should be strictly limited to music only. It was also felt that a format shifting exception should not over-ride existing digital rights management or content protection mechanisms, as this would damage existing and developing business models, especially in the audio-visual sectors. "
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  6. HaleStorm

HaleStorm Member

that might be an rule for education im thinking of then :p i know at the school i work in, any disc we get we can make a copy of to use so the original can be used as a backup (so it doesnt get damaged) and its definatly legal to make one backup of any software even for home users....but really....who is going to find out when your at home? and im sure the process of converting a DVD to be used on a portable device is legal, as your not actually creating a full copy of the material and your not distributing it. But i can stand to be corrected.
  7. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

IMO the changes will come to pass in some form or other, but as usual it's all in committee....it's just wise not to make sweeping statements on legality where copyright law is concerned as it's generally a very grey area...

(as a rule, the education sector generally gets special dispensation for lots of things)
  8. HaleStorm

HaleStorm Member

so all in all emzie, dont tell anyone and you'll be well away haha
  9. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

There are loads of DVD conversion programmes....don't broadcast it though, since I'm pretty sure its illegal to copy a DVD.....
  10. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Actually, this is not usually a function of copyright law at all, in the vast majority of cases. When you buy software, the only thing that you are really buying is a license to use that software, not the actual copyrighted code. Your use of the software and whether or not you can make copies, etc., is guided by the End User License Agreement (EULA) that is included, which is in the nature of a binding contract.

Even under the fair use standards in the US, breaking the copy protection on a DVD is illegal. British copyright law is tighter than US law, as it does not include a fair use provision, nor does the Berne Convention (international copyright).
  11. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

It is illegal at the moment in the UK to copy any copyrighted digital media even if you own the original. Having said that, there have been, to the best of my knowledge, no prosecutions of persons who have copied media solely for their own use on a portable player or home media centre. The studios are not interested in chasing small fry they're after the large scale pirates and file sharers. Going after Joe Public who just wants to watch his legally bought movie on the train would involve them in years of litigation and alienate their target audience. Some studios are forward thinking enough to include digital copies of movies with the original purchase e.g. recent blu-ray release of Watchmen. Where you really fall foul of the law is if you subsequently distribute copies of the media either for gain or for free. Do, that and you deserve to be prosecuted.

The best software I have found for creating iPod compatible stuff is handbrake. Bear in mind that you are going to need a beefy PC to re-encode a full movie in h.264 codec. I've got a 2.66GHz dual core for that job and it typically takes 3 to 4 hours to complete a single movie.
  12. HaleStorm

HaleStorm Member

13. emziesonic

emziesonic Member

dont worry it isnt the touch, just the 6th generation classic!

and thanks! :)
  14. Kjata

Kjata Member

I had this problem as well so what I did was this:
    1- download a conversion software such as pq DVD to Ipod
    2- after converting your DVD open iTunes and at the header click add file to library
    3- make sure the DVD is checked and connect iPod to sync.
    4- if it doesn't sync the movie then on the Ipod screen (where it shows space ect) and go to movies and make sure that both movie and the exact DVD are checked.

Hope this helps.