iPhone vs Android

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Laserbeam bass, Nov 26, 2009.

iPhone vs Android

1. iPhone

12 vote(s)
  2. Android e.g., G1 G2 HTC or Pulse

6 vote(s)
  3. Neither

5 vote(s)
  1. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

If you had the choice of a free phone and the options were the two above. which one would you go for and why?

I am raising this topic due to an ongoing battle in my office, (i have neither), and would be interested in peoples thoughts.
  2. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

Ooo well, iPhone is great BUT only when jailbroken. I have one, and it's good. Will be looking at Android when 2.0 comes out, but I've had 5 different HTC phones previously (all Windows Mobile) and they're shocking. I would look at a non HTC if going for Android.

We have a similar debate here, 3 of us and it's iPhone vs HTC HD2 (WM6.5) vs Nokia N900 (Linux based)!
  3. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

I've had 2 HCTs for work and there awful. Recently got my iPhone and love it to bits ( even got a Tuner app for it! :D )
  4. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

The jailbroken iPhones seem to be seriously vulnerable to attacks. I'd generally avoid all things Apple.
  5. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

Only if you don't then setup security, which is basically just changing the root password. I've done tests and they're only vulnerable if you don't know what you're doing, just like wireless routers etc.
  6. phildriscoll

phildriscoll Moderator Staff Member

If you value your freedom, choose Android.
    If you are an IT professional who needs to remotely administer servers, choose Android with a keyboard.
    I have a G1 and it is easily the most useful and versatile tool I have ever owned.
  7. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Being in the fortunate position of using both, my own phone is an iPhone and the work phone is android, I can honestly say that both are very good. They each have apps that show off the phone at its best. I would have to say though that the overall package of the iPhone, iTunes, the app store and mobileMe is quite simply the best. They just work, simple as that. Also, although the android OS and its apps are very good I have yet to find a handset that matches the iPhone.
  8. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

I was deeply sceptical of the iPhone when it came out, but I've had one for about 18 months now and it's about the only phone I've ever had that I'm genuinely attached to. The absolute deal-breaker is the app store for me, it's possible to get just about anything you could possibly need on there. Plus it's a 16GB iPod and an adequate camera (shame there's no flash and you need a 3GS for video, but I don't take that many photos anyway).

I've no experience of Android, although I had a succession of slightly unsatisfying HTC smartphones before that and never managed to raise much enthusiasm for Windows mobile devices as a result. I can imagine that if you're an IT professional needing to use it as a work tool (and competent at hacking or writing your own code) a non-Apple device would be more use, but since I don't need that I'm chuffed to bits with mine.
  9. Anno Draconis

Why? Although I prefer PCs because they're a) cheaper and b) easier to fix, I quite often covet some of the shiny new mac kit. We recently acquired a macbook in work which is a zillion times better than my windows laptop, and the portable stuff (iPhone and iPod) is awesome both in its design, and the execution of that design into a practical, useable, desirable reality.

As Andy has pointed out, jailbroken iPhones are only vulnerable to worms if you don't know how to sort out your security. Anyone who doesn't understand that shouldn't be jailbreaking their phone anyway!
  10. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

Difficult to say unless you've owned both - I have the G1 and am very pleased with it - so many applications plus I believe you can make telephone calls on it?
  11. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I don't like the proprietary nature of their business model. There's a long version of this rant, but the short version is you pay over the odds to get locked into a system where you can only get useful content and peripherals from one company.
  12. Anno Draconis

Fair point, in terms of the desktop/laptop kit. There is a trade off for this though, which is that the quality of what you get can be significantly higher. Depends on what you're planning to do with the kit, of course.

In the context of this discussion, for me that's not neccesarily a fair criticism of the iPhone, though. After all, there are plenty of independent developers writing iPhone apps, and plenty of people making 3rd party accessories for iPhone or iPod touch.
  13. Laserbeam bass

Thanks for all the replies. They have been extremely useful, especially Mr Wooler's :biggrin:

Even with a small sample, twice as many would go for the iPhone, which to be honest did not surprise me.

The office battle is a personal iPhone on a contract, against a personal T-Mobile Pulse on PAYG. I would go for neither, as I want an Android on 02, which has a much better PAYG option than any of the others.
  14. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I just want a phone that works in my mum's house, which is a bit of a mobile dead spot! Phones are just too small for my failing eyesight to cope with for anything else.
  15. Laserbeam bass

Have you tried a landline? I know this is a bit far out, but could be the answer to your problem.
  16. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Yes, I paid for my mum to have a landline 35 or so years ago, when I first started work (and she's still not forgiven me for it!) However, I don't like to use my mum's phone when I need to call far away places. I don't think she'd appreciate it. I also tend to text a fair bit.
  17. BariPower

BariPower Member

I have the HTC Magic with Android and think its great but do still fancy the iphone - grass is greener on the other side?
  18. MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle Supporting Member

Android will always be better than a locked, proprietary operating system. As someone already said, I'm not sure if I like their business model.

To me, open source is much preferable to closed source. Also, Android is a little bit different. Everybody and his pet dog seem to be getting an iPhone.
  19. Kjata

Kjata Member

Iphone every time!! :d
  20. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

On the apps thing, this report

suggests Apple aren't as free and easy as they might like to claim. The fact is, you still have to get your apps through their store, so they have to be approved by Apple. It's like the problem with the iPod renaming, reformatting and resorting your mp3s so that you can't easily copy them back to your computer in the event of a hard drive failure, or transfer them to a competitor mp3 player, should you get bored of your ipod imploding every so often.