Invitation for tMP members to vote for your favorite tMP logo

Discussion in 'tMP Site News & Suggestions' started by tMP Paul, Aug 2, 2016.

Which logo do you prefer the most?

1. 1

2. 2

3. 3

4. 4

5. 5

6. 6

7. 7

8. 8

9. 9 - Keep the existing logo

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. tMP Paul

tMP Paul Administrator Staff Member

Dear tMPers-

Thanks for everyone's input on the initial set of logos. We provided the designers your feedback, and were also fortunate enough to receive a submission from a community member! Below are the updated designs.

We're opening the poll again until Fri. or Sat. this week. We will likely give some weight to members who have been on tMP longer and/or have been more active, and share the results next week.

OPTION 1

OPTION 2

OPTION 3

OPTION 4

OPTION 5

OPTION 6

OPTION 7

OPTION 8
  2. Matthew

Matthew Active Member

Mhmmmmmm, many flugels.....:confused::rolleyes:

Sorry to sound a little negative, I'm not blown away with any of them :)
    mikelyons, Vegasbound and 2nd tenor like this.
  3. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Active Member

It would be helpful to see all the suggestions at one time (as per the original presentation) rather than scroll between them.

Not one picture of a Cornet or a Tenor Horn both of which are unique to Brass Bands (Brass Bands players form the overwhelming majority of members) and would, IMHO, better indicate what the site is about. I didn't submit a design 'cause I don't have the computer skills, but asking members to suggest in words what images and text would make a good design would likely have been helpful to the graphic artists who have put work forward.
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
    Accidental likes this.
  4. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I feel the same as Matt and 2T. Again, it can't be that difficult to find graphics of cornets -

cornet - Google Search

or tenor horns -

cornet - Google Search

I quite like the feel of options 5, 6 and 7. Maybe not those colours and with a cornet! I also like option 3/4, but with a cornet!

I think there's a theme developing. The cornet is the iconic brass band instrument (and this is coming from a bass player!) which says This is a BRASS BAND website, not an orchestral, jazz or windband one.
  5. Ianroberts

Ianroberts Well-Known Member

All this is getting quite yankyfied judging by the choices of instruments. The owners or who ever is doing these trials have to be yanks !
  6. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Hmmm.... not keen on any of them either, sorry.
    Design no.1 is the only choice that treats "mouthpiece" correctly as one word*, in but the flugel-ish instrument doesn't look right and I know that would get really irritating if we were seeing it all the time, lol! I agree 100% with Mike on the cornet vs. flugel thing

Just as a matter of interest, why the hunt for a new logo anyway - if you got a lot of feedback from the active members that they wanted one, fair enough, but if not...... #notbrokendontfixit

*(and yes, I know its MouthPiece our existing logo, but better the devil you know!)
  7. Bbmad

Bbmad Active Member

I am somewhat disappointed by the lack of a Bb Bass.
    pedaller and Slider1 like this.
  8. tMP Paul

Thanks for the feedback, 2nd tenor. Re: the presentation, feel free to PM me and I can send you a smaller screenshot. The reason I put the high-resolution images in here is because I noticed some of the detail wasn't easy to see with the smaller images. But that may be my old eyes failing me (which has been happening far too rapidly lately).

Re: design feedback, I did my best to summarize the feedback from the 1st run and send it to the designers. I think I might be able to modify the instrument if the community wants. I'll watch the comments to see how folks feel about that, and also see which design wins the most votes.

9. tMP Paul

For several reasons:
    • I can't find the original graphics files for the the current logo. This makes it difficult to clean up or modify, e.g., note the black rectangle around the logo that doesn't match the site background.
    • The current logo is low-resolution which means it will look worse over time as screens move up in resolution.
    • If we want to promote our site elsewhere, we don't have a logo that other publishers would accept, for the above reasons.
    • We don't have a favicon, which makes it easier for users with many browser tabs open.
    That said, I figured some folks might still want to stick with the old logo, thus, the option to vote for that.
    Accidental likes this.
  10. tMP Paul

We asked the designers to use instruments in British brass bands, but didn't specify which ones we wanted them to use. I think we can change the instrument, so I'll watch the comments to see how people feel about that, and see which design wins the most votes. Thanks.
  11. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Active Member

Surely if you can make a different new logo then a 'look a like' copy of the old one can be made that overcomes your technical issues without creating further issues. Isn't that a quick and simple resolution of your problems ........ if it ain't broke then don't fix it seems sensible to me.
    Slider1 and Accidental like this.
  12. tMP Paul

If we can who designed it originally and get them to transfer ownership of the design, then yes. If the original logos wins the vote, then we'll look for that.
  13. Ianroberts

Change for change sake.

14. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Pretty sure it was John Burns (user "TheMusicMan"), the original site owner
  15. tMP Paul

Thank you everyone for voting! There were a little over 20 votes that came in. I gave long-time, active members, and staff members some extra weight.

The top result was keeping the existing logo! Followed by Option 1. I reached out to John B. (TheMusicMan) shortly after the poll closed, but haven't heard back yet. I didn't think it was appropriate to modify the existing logo without the original designer's permission, so I spoke with @PeterBale (who had voted for the original logo) and we wanted to suggest that we go with Option 1 for now, and if we get the original logo down the line, update that the next time around and switch back to it if people prefer.

I know there's a familiarity and history with the existing logo, but if folks are willing to give the new logo a try, I think it will display nicely on the forum site and be easier to read, esp. for new guests and members arriving on mobile devices and higher-resolution screens.
    S.Octet and Euphonium Lite like this.
  16. mikelyons

But can we please not have a trumpet!
    2nd tenor likes this.
  17. Ianroberts

Benny Hill style short skirts and pig tails would be ok
  18. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Or a deformed flugel!
  19. Bbmad

Bbmad Active Member

Why can't we just have a lovely Bb bass and be done with it?
  20. mikelyons

"Lovely Bb Bass"? Oxymoron! :)
    bassmittens likes this.