Introducing the tMP Composition Competition.... :)

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by TheMusicMan, Mar 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

The Marching Mouthpiece!

Ok guys – just when you thought things couldn’t get any better here on tMP, and following on from the Copyright FAQ and the Regionals Predictions Competition, it’s time for perhaps the most exciting venture yet on the forum!

Acting on many of your requests for a ‘signature tune’, the tMP Team have set up a Composers Competition. The task is to write a march that will be named ‘The Mouthpiece’ and will be available for purchase as ‘The Official tMP March’.

You are encouraged to submit an entry for the first round of the competition which will be judged by none other than Philip Sparke! As most of you know of course, Philip is himself a tMP member, and we are extremely grateful for his continued commitment to tMP and for his willingness to help us in this competition.

Philip will then produce a shortlist of 3 marches which will then be posted (anonymously) on for you, the members to vote on your favourite march. The winning composition will be published by Thornes Music and all profits from the sales of the winning march will be donated to The to help towards its running costs for the future. It is also hoped to have the winning march recorded for posterity on a CD some time in the near future.

And now for the boring bit!

The Rules: Composers Competition.

The entrant must agree to the terms stated below.
    The entrant must be a registered member of on the date of submission.
    Only one entry per Member will be allowed.
    The march must be playable by all grades/standards of bands.
    Scoring for Percussion: Please use only Side Drum, Bass Drum and Clash Cymbals.
    No entry will be accepted if it has been performed in public by any ensemble/band before the closing date of the competition.
    Your score should be submitted in the form of a ‘hard copy’. These can either be computer generated or handwritten manuscripts. In the case of handwritten scores please do not send the originals. Entries will not be returned unless a S.A.E. is supplied.
    The decision of the Administration/Moderating team at will be final.
    The winning composition will be used as's signature tune and be published by Thornes Music.
    Composers may wish to attach a title to their entries, but the winning entry will be renamed 'The Mouthpiece'.

All entries must be received by us no later than 31st July 2004.
    No entries will be permitted after this date. Administration/Moderating team reserve the rights to extend the date for entries for any reason they deem to be necessary.
    Please send scores to: Roger Thorne, 18 Sundorne Crescent, Shrewsbury Shropshire SY1 4JE.

1st round: Submitted scores will be judged by Philip Sparke with an objective to shortlist a final 3.

Final round: The final 3 entries will be presented anonymously as a poll on forum and will run for 4 weeks. These entries will be typeset and be available for viewing and listening through the Sibelius/Scorch facility. (Anyone posting information on tMP or any other website identifying the composers of the final three entries will risk that entry being disqualified.)

The winning composition will be published by Thornes Music and all profits from the sales of the winning march will be donated to to help ensure running costs for the future.

The copyright will remain with the composer.

So come on guys, get your creative juices flowing and let’s have some exciting marches to listen to! Remember, the winning march will, after all, be voted by your fellow tMP’ers who between them, cover a huge number of bands – so there’s a big possibility here that your march would be played by bands across the world! And if that wasn’t incentive enough – you’d also be contributing to the future of!

Edit: 20th June, 2004
    We would like to thank everyone who has sent their entry in so far - the response we've received to date has been excellent. Following a few messages that have come to hand, it has become evident that a few of you are struggling to meet the deadline. In order to give everyone a fair crack at the prize, we will be extending the deadline by a month.

So the new closing date for this competition is now the 31st August 2004. This deadline will not be extended further.

Good luck, and don't forget that this is a unique opportunity to get your march heard by hundreds of your fellow tMPers!

Your tMP team
  2. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

Wow, brilliant, an excellent incentive for me to actually write some brass band music for a change! This could be great fun. :)
  3. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Niceone John and the gang!
    At last some new inspiration for me to write a new march...

Should be a good laugh this :D
  4. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

Great Idea guys!

Good luck to all entering :D
  5. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

I am a little confused. (Or dense?)

In the introduction to the announcement you specify a "road" march, then in the official rules you specify a "contest" (a la 'Whit Friday') march; Which is it to be?

6. dyl

dyl Active Member

Apologies Gareth! Thought that had been sorted out. Have edited out the wording 'road march' so you're ok to ahead and compose your contest march! ;)
  7. backrowbloke

backrowbloke Member

Brilliant...shame not in time for this years Whit Friday ;)
  8. dyl

dyl Active Member

A 'tMP March' is for life........not just for Whit Friday! ;)
  9. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

is mcfadge entering?? :roll:
  10. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Don't know Aidan, but I hope everyone will enter. Nobody is excluded. The only concession is that the entrant must be a registered member of on the date of submission.

11. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

:roll: :lol:
  12. eckyboy

eckyboy Member

I've got one from Drake Rimmer that he never published and gave to my Grandfather so I think I'll use that :lol:
    Only talking rubbish--good luck to everyone-I couldnt write a carol
  13. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Southern Softie Question

OK, ignorance is bliss and all that, but what's the difference between a Whit Friday march and (say) The Great Little Army, Knight Templar, Slaidburn or the Fulham Bricklayers' March.

:?: :?: :?:
  14. Dan

Dan Member

Brilliant Idea. Can't wait to hear all the tMPer entries! Good luck everyone
  15. Jo Elson

Jo Elson Member

Won't be entering due to time and exams and having equuipment to do it but good luck to everyone who is participating, can't wait to hear the results! :tup :bounce
  16. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Re: Southern Softie Question

Knight Templar is a contest march and therefore heard regularly on Whit Friday, at Easingwold etc. etc. That's the sort of march we're being asked to compose. They are generally quite demanding in terms of technique and only the brave/foolhardy would attempt to play them on the march. This isn't so unusual - there are also concert marches (Pomp and Circumstance, M. Slav, M. Militaire etc.) which were not primarily intended for marching. Contest marches are nearly always in 2/4 and follow a sort of minuet and trio structure with DC.

Slaidburn is described as a Quick March by W Rimmer - it was intended for playing on the march and is much simpler from a technical point of view though they share many formal characteristics eg. bass solo section. 6/8 possibly as common as 2/4.

Great Little Army is perhaps the wind band equivalent of Slaidburn, like many composed by Army bandmasters for marching. BB transcriptions are often awkward and best left alone IMHO.

Is there really such a thing as the Fulham Bricklayer's March? The mind boggles.
  17. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

There is , David. Will's just being shy. He wrote it relatively recently (check FBB's website for link between the band and the Bricklayers' Union!). I mean what else could you call it? The Fulham Erectioneers???? ;-)

I might have a go at this. Just for fun! ;-) ;-)
  18. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Phew - a good job I didn't post my original snide comment about finding places to park my bike or nasty anti-southern 'cor-blimey-missus-we'll-'ave-to-knock-the-whole-bloomin'-wohle-darn-gonna-coscha-narm-anna-leginnit?'

19. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

No! And it's a good thing that the original section where half the band lowers its trousers etc. just enough to see the 'builders' bum' was 'dropped' at the last minute! We were worried audiences would 'crack' up.
  20. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

p.s. It's not quite there yet. Us Londoners manage to say that as one syllable. Easily.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.