Introducing myself

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Paul Gorman, Nov 17, 2005.

1. Paul Gorman

Paul Gorman New Member

Hi fellow mouthpiece.com members. I am a cornet and trumpet player and member of the Staines Salvation Army Band, although temporarily working in Bahrain. There are not many brass players out here so most of my playing is daily practice. However it gives me time to work on those niggling problems most of us suffer from time to time! Now in my 50's my love for brass playing has never diminished after 36 years of playing. My only mad spell was when playing with the Humberside Police Concert Band I agreed to move to trombone! After 14 years of trying to master the vagaries of that particular instrument I returned to my first love - the cornet - about 7 years ago. I was fortunate to secure the great help of Tony Adie, a professional trumpeter and former principal of the Grenadier Guards who was of inestimable assistance to me. By strange coincidence my first teacher Brian Brown, former Bandmaster of the Grimsby Citadel SA Band, had also been principal cornet with the Grenadier Guards. Married with 4 daughters aged between 20 & 30 years my wife lives out here in the Arabian Gulf with me.
    Regards,

Paul

2. flashbarry

flashbarry Member

Hi Paul,

If you and your wife are ever over in Muscat let us know!

Cheers,
    Darrol

3. Paul Gorman

Paul Gorman New Member

Hi Darrol,

That was really quick! I think I read in the BB that you had taken up the post with the Royal Guard of Oman. I currently work as Area Security Manager for DHL International covering 13 countries in the Middle East so should be able to get over to Oman in the not too distant future. Prior to this job I was a senior officer in the UK police service and spent the last 4 years of my career as 2iC in the International Studies Department at the Police Staff College, Bramshill. While there I had the great privilege of running numerous International Command Programmes with senior police officers from all over the world. A number of the students were from Oman and one of them gave Sharon (my wife) and me a superb book about the emerging music scene in the Sultanate. There was excellent coverage about the range of music now being played, particularly in the orchestral and band world. I've not heard them but I understand that the police band is pretty good these days as is the Oman Phil. They were playing here in Bahrain last week but due to work commitments I didn't manage to see them.

I hope that things are going well in Oman and that you are getting enough time to write and arrange. If of course you are coming to Bahrain at any time please let me know. I can be contacted by email on lpg5456@batelco.com.bh and on 00.973.36061157.

Kind regards,

Paul
    (Gorman)