Intrigued by Elgar Howarth article, The Brass Herald

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by James Yelland, Feb 19, 2004.

1. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Had a chance to glance at Elgar Howarth's article in The Brass Herald last night, and am intrigued to hear that there is an extended cornet work by Wilfred Heaton, and also one by someone called Nilson, who I have never heard of. Can anyone shed any light on either of these two?
  2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

The Wilfred Heaton "Sinfonia Concertante" for cornet and band was broadcast a few years ago in one of the BBC Festival of Brass programmes.

Although I've not yet read the article referred to, I presume the other piece you mention is the Concerto for Bb Cornet by Torstein Aagaard-Nilsen, recorded by Roger Webster on his cd "Webster's Choice":

I vaguely recall another recording on an all Aagaard-Nilsen cd, but I can't remember the title or the performer.
  3. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

I heard a copy of the broadcast a few years ago and the piece is a real corker. It was performed, I think, by Martin Winter. Does anyone (World0fBrass) know if or when a recording of Heaton's solos, etc., is to be released? Volume 2 of the "Heaton Collection" maybe?
  4. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

I was privileged to be present when Martin winter performed the Heaton 'Concertante' with Faireys at the RNCM. I managed to capture the bbc broadcast on mini disc: I often go back to it and am always blown away by just how good it all is. His playing was something else, the cornet did not move off his face for 5 minutes at a time. The accompaniment was not easy either. Martin will be reprising it with the NYBBGB on a forthcoming course with Howard Snell as director.

5. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Of course. It's so obvious now that you've given me the answer :)