Internet trolls

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by skweeky, Nov 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skweeky

skweeky Member

Why is there so much anonymity on here? I'm being trolled by anonymous members when offering to dep for bands and its clear who I am. Surely there's no need for it....

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    dep
    Internet trolls
    bands
    anonymous members
    anonymity
  3. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Member

If that's referring to my post in your other thread then I'm afraid there has been a misunderstanding. From your post (in which you mentioned your band) I took it to mean you were already performing. From this I deduced (perhaps incorrectly) that you were 'dangling your worm' in an effort to catch willing lady suitors. I understand now that you are actually pimping out your services as a horn player rather than a love-machine. Apologies, I'll amend/add to my other post accordingly.

4. skweeky

skweeky Member

It's not just you and not necessarily your post. It's about the anonymity of people who joke about others. I feel that there are so many bands who need help but now can't use me as the thread has turned into a joke. I was pointing out that it wouldn't cost them expenses to get me there.

5. DS2014

DS2014 Active Member

It's becoming the norm here, skweeky, but you need to walk away from it...your responses didn't cover you in glory either. The particular character whose bait you took is notorious, and becoming increasingly so, as he no longer lives in the shadow of a thoroughbred wind-up merchant who recently was banned.

6. skweeky

skweeky Member

That's the trouble. The more I ignore, the more people can make judgements about me. I have a lot of friends in the brass band world and don't want people thinking I'm up to no good. On the flip side, it's near impossible to calmly defend myself without seeming equally as childish as the troll. The more passionate one is about morals, the easier they are to wind up. I'm not for one minute suggesting that I dealt with it perfectly but with no way to delete posts Or edit them; no reply from any moderator and reports ignored, I became anxious as the number of views reached huge numbers. The more I thought people are judging me, the more defensive, the bigger the hole. I'm making no excuses for my reaction but I was pushed into it.

7. DS2014

DS2014 Active Member

I totally understand. And it's easy for someone from outside to be calm and objective. My advice, for what it's worth, is not to engage with them. There are enough good people on here who, if they need a deputy horn, are intelligent enough to read through the bile. No need to give the trolls more ammunition or targets.

8. skweeky

skweeky Member

Thanks, DS. God bless :)

9. Ritzer

Ritzer New Member

Thats very presumptuous of you, I'm pretty sure any bands at butlins will have a full set of players. Otherwise why would they bother going as it costs so much and the bands at butlins are decent? Why not hire yourself out to bands in the lesser sections who don't have full bands?

10. skweeky

skweeky Member

Nothing to do with butlins. My comment about bands needing help was to do with the mouthpiece and trolls spoiling it for other bands. As for butlins, players can fall ill, double book, other deps pull out..... That's why bands withdraw and reserves are used. Deps could alleviate that problem. I don't need to hire myself out. I was offering to help for free. You can clearly see what I get in return.

11. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Active Member

There is no presumption that Sweeky's kind offer will be taken up by anyone. With so many bands going there is a realistic chance that a horn player in one of them will not be able to attend for some perfectly good reason or have to drop out nearer the time. Sweeky plays at a high standard and doesn't have any bias so he's seemingly a perfect dep. We do not know whether or not he helps bands in lower sections and I suggest that that is his business.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    dep
    Internet trolls
    bands
    anonymous members
    anonymity
  13. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

I have to smile when reading a thread about trolls where every contributor so far does not put their name on either their profile or posts.

Are you all trolls?

Steve Anker

14. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Active Member

It's a fair point, well made me smile. There are lots of good reasons for not using your real name on the Web, but some folk will abuse whatever is available to them and act in anti-social ways.

15. Bbmad

Bbmad Active Member

You literally would not believe me if I told you who I am

16. stevetrom

I don't believe you anyway so why hide your identity?

17. Bbmad

Bbmad Active Member

Well what is your real name then?

18. stevetrom

can you read?

look at post #11

19. Bbmad

Bbmad Active Member

I don't believe you.

20. Coverhead

Coverhead Member

I've met this so-called 'Steve' several times. Alcohol is always involved though, so I am also intrigued as to whether or not he really exists...

21. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

Maybe one way to bring some "legitimacy" to some of the dubious posters would be for tMP to make it a requirement to properly identify yourself when joining. I don't remember if that's a requirement or not but I don't believe it is. I don't know if or how it would work but I know the Internet has the smarts to know who I am in (too) many instances. If that was achieved then it would hopefully keep certain people from making such negative and often disparaging and hurtful comments behind a shield of anonymity. From my perspective, I prefer people to know what I'm saying and never considered hiding my identity.

22. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

And how exactly are they going to do that? Passport checks, credit checks? Its never going to happen. You have my word that I'm Stella Johnson from Huddersfield. Apart from the people that personally know me, in the banding world no has heard of me. I could be hiding behind a name and I could be nick Childs for all you know!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.