Internet Chat Rooms

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by ian perks, Jan 15, 2006.

1. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Do you use internet chat rooms?
    If so have you ever met up with the person you have been talking to on line.
    I have a lady from Wales and she is a very nice person and will be seeing her again this week for the 2nd time on Wednesday (18th January)
    We chat regular on line and ring each other up and have become good friends as well, since this time last year, met her last May in Llangollen for the day;)

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    ABOUTMany ThanksIan
    Internet Chat Rooms
  3. Mister 4x4

Mister 4x4 Member

I've met 4 people I've talked to over a couple of forums I frequent, and I've talked to 2 more over the phone.
    The first two people I talked to over the phone a couple years back.
    I met the first person after 'knowing' him for several years initially through the newsgroups and later through e-mail and forum contact.
    I met the third person a year ago - turns out his Uncle is someone I've worked with for the past 10 years or so (off and on)... and I built a custom computer for him. (Link to computer build)
    And the last person I've met from online is a friend whom I've known for about 5 years online, and I met them during a recent trip to the D.C. area.

Someday, I hope to meet some of you during a future trip to your side of the pond. Hopefully, during competition so I can experience Brass Banding as you guys do. :D

4. HorniKaz

HorniKaz Supporting Member

Are you really ready for that??????? :tongue:

5. persins

persins Member

I use MSN a fair bit and tMP but that is the closest I really get to chat rooms. I've met a few people from tMP if that counts!?!

A couple of my mates have had absolute disasters with other chat rooms. I think they're scarey really and that you have to go in with your eyes wide open.

6. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

My friend got attacked two years ago by someone she met in a chatroom so I've never been too comfortable with them. Don't mind meeting tmpers though, anyone in a brass band has to be nice :rolleyes:

7. Mister 4x4

Mister 4x4 Member

As a spectator - you bet! As a participant... heavens no. :D

8. Steve

Steve Active Member

Nope, never met anyone from a chat room but I know many people who have found soulmates / relationships through dating agencies.

My mum and her new husband proving the properly administrated and screened agencies do actually work :clap:

9. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

A update on this we met up today in Chester we spent 4 hours chatting and went for a super meal as well, what a lovely person she is ;)

10. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

Haven't met anyone totally knew, but have started talking to people i know through other people, and become very good friends with them...AND have also got talking to people online that i hadn't spoken to before, but i had been to the same event as them, eg. a music school week, and then gone on to become best friends!

11. dyl

dyl Active Member

Get her to sign up to tMP so we can get her side of the story Ian! ;)

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    ABOUTMany ThanksIan
    Internet Chat Rooms
  13. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

So Dyl dont you belive what i say????????

14. Steve

Steve Active Member

How many smilies did you use in the 4 hour chatting Ian? Glad it went well.

15. dyl

dyl Active Member

I do - just make sure you book the tMP Band well in advance for the wedding. ;)

All the best.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2006
  16. BOB_

BOB_ Member

im wary of people on chat rooms my mate met some one and a few of us persuaded her not to meet him alone. we also told her that he was a 70 yr old using his grandsons profile it was mean but its only coz we care :evil:

17. Key2207

Key2207 Member

To be honest i'm quite scared of chatrooms. I prefer to meet new people face to face (or on tMP of course!!)

18. BOB_

BOB_ Member

meeting people on tmp is better than chatrooms

19. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

In my profession I deal with a lot of teenagers and I would like to add a warning. to teenagers, that I'm sure you all know.

Never, never, go off to meet anyone that you have met in a chat room. If you really must, then make sure you take all necessary precautions. Never meet anyone alone (ideally take your parents with you), always meet in a public place, preferably in the daytime and always inform parents/carers of the details.

You would be surprised at how many teenagers, especially girls, who get conned/charmed/sucked into 'relationships' with men and others. And the emotional mess that is left once the relationship has ended/been stopped, is terrible to experience.

PLEASE BE VERY CAREFUL

20. dyl

dyl Active Member

Just to re-inforce the warning posted by Charmed above, we at tMP belive that these are excellent points - and our younger members, in particular, should read them and understand them - if meeting up with anyone you don't know personally, please take all necessary precautions to ensure your complete safety.

21. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

tMP and MSN will do for me.
    Met some really genuinely nice people through tMP, and the fact that we're all members of organisations (bands) that generally have other members on here too means that you have the peace of mind of knowing that who you're talking to can't really be telling you anything that aint true, cos they'd get found out far too easily.

Chat rooms always appear to have a sort of sinister air about them...they're not my cup of tea I'm afraid.

22. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Dyl :I could not agree anymore with what you are saying .:clap:
    It took 3 months before any personal details were exchanged between us and a lot of trust not telling lies, i found out quite a lot about her back ground and she did with me as well.
    She had been married twice and as been beaten up by both Husbands "????????" you know what word i have put BUT have not wrote it :NOTE TO ALL MODERATORS. dont kick me off for saying that, Im sure you will say the same as me on that score!!!.
    In the end she said would you like to meet up sometime for the day, this was after countless phone calls between us and having a laugh on the phone and swapping many pictures, between us both.
    We have just become very good friends, over the last 12 months.
    But to re-inforce DYLS&CHARMEDS point, please take care if/ when meeting up with any one you do not know as there are some very nasty people out there.
    By the way Dyl i will give you plenty of notice if i want the Tmp Band to play should there be a wedding at all but you will all have to dress in LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB Kits and play
    "You will never walk alone" if not you cant play at the wedding:biggrin:
    By the way she supports EVERTON:( but knows all of Ian Rush's Family as she lives in the same village as them plus knows Ian Rush as well:clap: :woo