International Trombone Festival concert

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by sudcornet, Jul 24, 2006.

1. sudcornet

sudcornet Member

I must have lost a good couple of inches off my paunch yesterday...hopefully.

I was sweating after a bath......... thank God for a/c in cars.......no such luck on the bus...more sweat.......changing room and rehearsal room......sweltering....concert hall.....you've guessed it.....hard to play with sweat running down your lip ain't it?

Ian Bousfield.....excellent....great control, style, technique....no surprise he's achieved what he has. Super performances of the Buxton Orr Trom Concerto, Blue Bells of Scotland and Bolivar.

Ben van Dijk.....tremendous warmth and range....so a Bass Trombone can be subtle and agile....!.... Relaxed, sort of "Orange Juicey" in My Spanish Heart; flexible and fun in Hall of the Mountain King.

Wycliffe Gordon.....I don't quite know what to say.......we didn't play the planned encore of the Irish Washerwoman (Soloists + Chris Houlding and Imps troms), because nobody wanted to try to follow what Wycliffe had just done.....he played two of his own compositions Contemplation and Me We....and just blew everyone away.....the stuff he was doing shouldn't be possible on a trombone.....jazz breaks every bit as fast and complex as you'd expect from Marsalis on his trumpet.....ON A FLIPPIN' TROMBONE!!!!

This laid back black giant stunned the audience and band alike....he was lucky to get any accompaniment from us....it's hard to play with your jaw dropped.......an absolutely astonishing performer.

Thanks very much to Craig (Supersop) for helping me out......yes, it is hard work on the back row.....cheers mate.

Sud.