International Summer School - Swansea

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Moy, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Moy

Moy Active Member

Anyone from here going on the Summer Course?

I am going all on my own all the way from Stonehaven near Aberdeen.:(
    Hope I can meet up with some folks there during the week.:clap:

Hopefully some of tMP'ers will be there as well.
  2. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Is there somewhere I can find any info on this?
  3. Moy

Moy Active Member

It is being run by Kapitol Promotions and the guy in charge is Philip Morris.
    I have an email address for Philip so if u email me I will pass it on to you.
  4. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

I recently spoke to Philip and suggested he may wish to post some information on tMP. I will try to contact him again...:)

EDIT: damn it... upgraded my phone recently and it looks as though the Orange shop didn't transfer all the numbers from the phone memory to the SIM... if anyone has Phils' phone number could they please PM it to me. Many thanks.
  5. Moy

Moy Active Member

Don't have his phone number but have email address if you need it.

Aberdeenshire are sending me on the course so really looking forward to it.

Long way to drive but will break the journey on the way down and have a stop ever somewhere nice hehehe.
    Really looking forward to making music with some new faces.:clap:

Hope we get some good music to play.
    Any tmp folks going - pleeeaaaasssseeeeeee.:wink:
  6. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Would love to do a summer school one time, but difficult to get time off from LittleBabyBadger. Can anyone reccommend a good one near NW? Swansea is a bit far but could crash at MHJS.

7. Moy

Moy Active Member

Really long drive for me - strange though that you should reply all the way from Cheshire.
    Going to be stopping off in Cheshire on my way to and from Swansea.
    My best pals mum stays in Sandbach - Fodens land - so will be doing my Annual visit - if I get back that is.;)
  8. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Hi Moy, i'm going! (whether that's a good thing or not you can decide! :D ;) )
    I've been for the past few years, and its been a great course. Great tutors, great conductor, and a great week of music making! I've made many friends there both from England and abroad! Will see you there! :D
  9. Moy

Moy Active Member

Hi Alex
    Great I am sure you will have a few drinks together.
    What music did you play last year and how big is the band?
    Looking forward to the course - be good to meet lots of new people.
  10. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

It's a fantastic course, can't actually remember most of the music from last year, but I remember we did the entire Cry of the Celts, Euph Section did Blaydon Races, Softly softly, erm...! It was all good challenging music though, and i'm sure Bob said we'd be trying Day of the Dragon this year- there is usually be a list of what music we're playing released to players before the course.
    The band is usually limited to 90 people, and makes a heck of a noise! Makes the hairs stand up on your back anyway!!!
    Each tutor performs a short recital each night which is great to listen to, and there are section masterclasses each morning with your tutor. As well as that there's a great surrounding area, and the beach isn't too far away, although the weathers been a bit dodgy over the past few years! :D
    Fantastic course though! Can't wait! :p
  11. Moy

Moy Active Member

Well back from the said course and had a great time.
    Met Alex and a nice chap he is too - how much did you say you would pay for that then Alex?

I am sure some enterprising Scotsman/woman could organise something in the same lines up here. Would be great - sure there are lots who would attend.
    Reminded me on my youth band days but with no lights out and set bed times. ;)

Also the food was the same as NYBBS days - CR**

Oh by the way also met Choirboy/choirmaster not too sure which he is!!!!
  12. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

So, as some nice Mod has closed my thread and directed me here, I'll ask again. How many went, was it any good, should I go next year? Oh and Moy was the food that bad? I have no intention of paying that much and eating junk, when I can stay home and eat junk. :)
  13. Moy

Moy Active Member

It was good but the eating arrangements were poor.
    I think they were going to try and change things for next year though.
    There no lunch provided (it was stated in the form that luch would be provided) and the dinner was about an hour and a bit before band at night.
    I don't like eating a large meal before I play and as the last time we ate would be breakfast thought that was bad planning.
    Anyway I went out and had lunch in town and only snacked at the proper dinner.

It was good meeting like minded folk - would have liked more of a challenge music wise but can well understand that there young and not so experienced folk there as well.

I feel there are loads of courses for young people and somebody should really be targetting for the slightly - let's say - more mature person.
    There is a market there I am sure especially here in bonnie Scotland.;)
  14. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Anybody going this year? July/August. I'm still toying with going at the moment.
  15. I would like to go, but it's hard since I can't find any proper information.. I have to do something, but I'm not sure that my mum would be very happy if I went to Wales. We also have some great courses in Norway as well. the problem is that they dont have a very high quality, and there aren't any challenges anymore.
  16. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

30th July to 5th August at the University of Wales, Swansea. Musical Diector Robert Childs. Tutors: Roger Webster, Ian Porthouse, David Childs, Owen Farr, Steve Sykes, Nick Hudson, Alun Horgan.

Course fee £350 per person en-suite to include Bed, breakfast, evening meal and tuition. Single or double rooms available. Run by Kapitol Promotions e mail

Anything else you'd like to know? :)
  17. Isn't there any application schemes???
    and not any age limit???
  18. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

There is an Application Form. Nothing in the literature I have been sent suggests any age limit. Just an 'Age if under 21' Box. There is a phone number for them 02020 704325.
  19. jim

jim Member

A few frends of mine went on it a few years ago I dont think they ever recoverd from there drinking sessions with the irish contingent on the course!!
  20. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

So any TMPers thinking of going then? I've still not decided if it's worth the effort yet.