International Euphonium Player Of The Year

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by brassneck, Sep 5, 2007.

1. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

This year is seeing the return of the prestigous International Euphonium Player Of The Year award. There hasn't been one since 2004 when David Childs was presented with it. I am trying to help someone collate all the winners since it began in 1979. Apart from the possibility that no award was given in the 'missing' years, can anyone help fill in the blanks? Thanks in advance ...

1979: Barrie Perrins
    1980: David Werden
    1981: Trevor Groom
    1982: Robert Childs
    1983: Jean-Pierre Chevailler
    1984: Lyndon Baglin
    1985: Nicholas Childs
    1986: Steven Mead
    1987: John Clough
    1988: John Stark
    1989: Brian Bowman
    1990: Billy Millar
    1991: Derrick Kane
    1992: Wendy Picton
    1993: Steven Mead
    1994: Robin Taylor
    1995: ???
    1996: Shichiro Hokazono
    1997: Morgan Griffiths
    1998: ???
    1999: Sverre Olsrud
    2000: David Childs
    2001: David Thornton
    2002: Riki McDonnell
    2003: ???
    2004: David Childs
    2005: No Award
    2006: No Award
  2. Highams

Highams Member

Maybe this year it should be given in memory of Marcus Cutts who just passed away.

Great player and a very nice person. Whilst at Stanshawe I sat next to him when he was with CWS Manchester, we did a massed bands job with Frickley & CWS at Sheffield in the 80's.

3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

That would be an idea, but I think there are many fine euphonium players who can be considered for this award. Tormod Flaten and Stef Pillaert spring to mind for instance. I have to assume that the list above is complete? (even with the mis-spelling of Barry Perrins name :oops: )
  4. Highams

Highams Member

5. barkiniron

barkiniron New Member

What about Michael Dodd at Grimey. He's been doing the job at arguably the best band in the world for 10 years.
  6. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Might I ask: who awards this title, and what criteria are used to justify the choice?
  7. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

Riki McDonnell, David Childs or Steven Mead
  8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Trevor Austin (Rosehill Instruments) created the award but I know very little about the criteria! The shield remains with the winner for a year, then it is passed to the next one!
  9. dyl

dyl Active Member

I'm guessing playing the euphonium is one? ;)
  10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- but not necessarily currently ... ;) I have always felt it has been awarded to someone who has shown to be an ambassador for the instrument. I've now emailed Trevor to see what information he can supply. David Werden was the former award winner who wanted the full list of winners.
  11. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I had the opportunity to hear him up close this summer and have to say he is one of the most underated players I've heard. Hardly every mentioned, but as freakish as the best.
  12. dwerden

dwerden New Member

Actually, that is how it appears on the plaque (it's a little hard to see here):

Last edited: Sep 15, 2007
  13. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Sorry Dave, my mistake (... trust me to rely on 4BarsRest's spelling of Mr. Perrins' name on their Marcus Cutts article linked above!). Welcome to The Mouthpiece, btw! (and I'm still waiting on Trevor Austin's list-check!)
  14. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I've just had it confirmed that the above list is accurate and complete. Trevor will announce this year's winner next month!
  15. Puritan

Puritan Member

Wouldn't it be nice to see John French recieve this ? For me you don't have to be on the end chair to be a star !
  16. Dave Thornton

Dave Thornton Member

Couldn't agree more - a very genuine servant to bands and the euphonium - and happens to make my job a lot easier too!!!!
  17. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

Mike Howley? He's got nice style and sound.
  18. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

This is what the shield looks like presently (... supplied by Kenny Crookston)

19. Dave Thornton or Dave Childs!

Two of the finest euph players around, i look up to both! Amazing musicians! :tup :tup :tup
  20. Can i please ask: Who chooses who wins the award?