Interesting/strange/just plain weird playing habits....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Big Twigge, Jan 27, 2004.

1. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

My case:

When I'm playing and usually when I'm concentrating very hard, I have a tendancy to not blink and instead just wink with my left eye (I hope you all have interesting mental pictures...)
    This leads to blurryness in right eye, because of contact lenses and an inabililty to see the music...fabulous!

Anyone else have any strange playing related habits?
  2. sunny_jimbob

sunny_jimbob Member

If I come to a fast run I tend to sort of bounce a couple of inches off my chair, lean forward and scowl in a mildly menacing manner. Cracks our solo euph up every time!
  3. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

I remember when timbloke was playing Bass Trom for Dronfield when I was on EEb Bass there too, and we noticed one of the back cornets instinctively twitched a split second before she played.

Do you still do that Rachel?? :lol:
    (Cue most of Flixton Band staring rachel's way at next rehearsal!! :shock: :lol: )

My only strange playing habit (as far as I am aware) is rather large and was built by Besson.....
  4. Steve

Steve Active Member

I used to sit next to a player who would lick their fingertips and rattle the valves very rapidly before every entry, even in a hymn tune!!! Good job the valves didnt sound like a perc section i guess.
  5. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

I've seen a few over the years...

crooked embouchere (was me initially, but met someone worse!)

flapping elbow (me I dunno where I got that)

Trombone bounce (I'm not talking a little bob here either)

Knees bent, twist waist (my high school music teacher was a a jazz player...old habits die hard?)

Too good a trombone posture (I whacked a few people on the head over thew years....parallel to the ground!)

Eupho players taught to hold their instruments offense, but in nearly every single case, it's been a woman teacher!!! They teach the instrument on the right leg, left hand on leadpipe. GRRRRRR :twisted:

Bari sax between the legs (I did it once, because I loaned my neckstrap to a kid who forgot to bring his to a workshop. To hold my instrument up later, I had to play with it between my legs, balancing off my feet.)
  6. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

Whilst watching the European DVD from last year I noticed a couple of players licking their mouthpieces rather fondly like a lollipop just before they were about to play.

There is also one thing that really cracks me up people who grunt while they play. More likely to be back row cornet players or horn players who grunt on the beat whilst they play off beats. It's so funny.

One girl told me that she had to wear trousers as part of the band uniform as when she played loudly her legs would go akimbo :lol: :shock:

I on the hand do nothing odd. (Yeah right). I sometimes look like a very angry mad woman when I play high and loud.
  7. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Or basses.

Grunt chuck grunt chuck. Well funny!
  8. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Gives a new twist to the phrase "split notes", doesn't it :?: :shock: :wink:
  9. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

at least she acknoledged she had a problem. I have a horn player who REFUSES to wear anything except a tight-fitting skirt to bands....
  10. Rambo Chick

Rambo Chick Member

hehe :D Yes i can agree, having sat next to both horns and cornets, grunting seems to be the done thing for offbeats especially the men!

i have a habit of blinking lots and jumping when there are sudden sharp accents in music, even when i play myself!! fellow banders find this hilarious!!

united co-op yorkshire
  11. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

so is that the scary avatar eye that blinks then? probably for the best!

anyway, as far as i can tell my only bad habit is whenever i go into 6/8 my slide bounces in time... got an entire section of 7 trombones doing it once!!
  12. bruceg

bruceg Active Member

I tend to lick my mouthpiece and rattle the valves (intermittent sticky 2nd valve - honest) before an entry. I don't think I'm prone to Laura's example of "grunt chucking" but I might be - I'm a bass player after all :)
  13. Steve

Steve Active Member

Close Paul, you were in 6/8, the other six were varying between 7/8, 3/4, 9/8 and one was going into spasm. :roll:
  14. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Depends what type of 'grunting' you're talking about! Certainly when I was a kid 'grunting' was a euphemism for passing wind! Jeez, if the whole band did that!

As for the lass whose legs went akimbo, was it when she played C natural, C sharp or C through??? :oops: :wink: :lol:
  15. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

I've got a jumpy eyebrow...
  16. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

Lots of eye oddities occur with the brass band world it would seem!

(Incidently my eye winking is very subtle, not horrific over the top movements. I'm a very subtle winker)
  17. Euph-Bari

Euph-Bari Active Member

My eyebrows tend to rise alot on higher notes :roll:
  18. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Not our whole band, but bass trom and most of our basses. It can get pretty noxious sitting in front of that lot. :lol:

As far as habits go, I let my water out way more than necessary, especially if I've got a tricky bit or solo coming up, and I sit up straighter the higher I go! (yeah I know I'm meant to sit up straight all the time....)
  19. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

im not sure if i have any habits wen playing (afterwards is a little different.......wind :oops: )

will have a look at practice on friday
  20. HBB

HBB Active Member

I tend to be listening too hard and forget my entry :oops: