Interesting sound effects!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Roger Thorne, Jul 10, 2004.

1. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

I've just been listening to a recording of Paganini Variations on the Grimethorpe Colliery Band Australian Tour Edition CD and have heard a strange sound effect, which apparently doesn't appear on the score.

If you've got the recording have a listen and you will hear a sound which I'm convinced is a 'zip' being either opened or closed, :shock: and listening how it is 'in time' with the music makes me wonder if it was deliberate! There could well be a genuine explanation, but it would be interesting to find out.

If you have the CD have a listen and see what you can make of it. If you 'time' the piece the you will hear the effect at 00:46 seconds or if you have a score its the second beat of bar 22 right in the middle of the opening Euph solo.

I know we get wrong notes, coughs and sometimes exploding light bulbs on some recordings but do you know of any other unexplained effects that appear on any other Brass Band CD's.

:wink:

2. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

On the Europeans Championships 2000 CD, about 3 minutes into YBS' performance of Dove Descending, there is a funny noise and a slight skip in the recording. I believe this is where the tam tam string broke and it clattered to the floor! It was a live recording, but most unexpected!

3. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Maybe someone in the band was trying to put the euph player off by opening and closing his zipper! ;-)

Other strange recording anomalies.

Regionals 99. Symphonic Suite; Leighton Lucas. Whole piece comes out a whole tone too low. The tempos sound pedestrian enough to suggest it was an engineering cock up rather than the band collectively transposing!

Planets: Black Dyke. Moorside Suite, first movement. Repeat section happens three times!

There was a Grimethorpe recording with Lesley Garrett. Opening piece, Force of Destiny. Unison semiquaver rundown disappears halfway through and 'morphs' into next section!

4. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Philip Jones Brass Ensemble; on their CD Music from the Courts of Europe. Notably on the final track, Brandenburg Concerto No. 3, someone has clearly got a bit of a chesty wheeze, noticeable when breathing!

5. iggmeister

iggmeister Member

That was at Symphony Hall in Brum. I was in listening to that performance.

The tam-tam was hung on one of those dodgy stands that rocks back and forwards after you hit it, (as opposed to the ones which look like you should set fire to and have circus stunt dogs jump through), and the perc player gave it a bit too much with the result that the tam-tam fell over onto a microphone on a 30 foot pole which then crashed (luckily) away from the band. Could have been a disaster if the mic fell onto some players.

The band, to their credit, completely ignored it and carried on to give a cracking performance although the perc player forgot to put on the dove sounds CD in the second movement. That is why when you listen to Windows of the World on that CD (from the gala concert), when the bird effects are put in, the audience laughs and claps.

Igg

6. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

If I remember it correctly there was actually a problem with the cd player, which they had a couple of goes at before starting the performance, then decided to go without it.

7. iggmeister

iggmeister Member

Cant argue with the Balemeister!! :lol:

Igg

8. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

On the West Side Story Symphonic Recording (the one with Bernstein himself recording) there is a quaver beat missing in America. Not so much a funny noise, but annoying to listen to!
    Another one is a live recording of WSS I did. I was playing percussion and my friend Steve was playing drums. At one point his triangle string broke and the triangle fell to the floor, knocking the maracas off too! It was in a quiet number too! (Somewhere I think). :lol:

9. Offbeats

Offbeats Member

Perhaps the zipper thing is some sort of gimmick or trend...I say this because i was listening to a recording of Derek Bourgois' 'Serenade' not too long ago (can't remember which band was playing it) and on about the second note of the introductory cornet solo (about 8 sec into the piece) you can clearly hear something that sounds like a zipper being unzipped... Does anyone know what this is?

10. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

I really want to buy some of these CDs, just to hear all the weird noises!! All of mine are really boring/normal (no offence to all the Cornish bands that have managed to sell me a CD!)...although the euphonium player needs to get rid of some water from his instrument in one of the recordings... :lol:

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    CD
    sound
    sound effects
    sound effect
    Paganini Variations
  12. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

On the 1st CD of the 1995 European Champioships, somebody screams "yes!" right after the last note of Montage (played by Manger Musikklag from Norway). I've been told that this would be David King himself, who was conducting Manger in 1995...

13. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Just a thought.. Squeaky mute? :?:

14. dazzyboy

dazzyboy Member

going back to the tam tam incedent...the same recording has been used on their kings of europe cd....i think it shows what a gr8 band they actually are..that they can carry on after something like that happens and give a stunning performance....i know if that happened while we played the front row and half the band would not be able to carry on playing for laughter.

15. hunting_high

hunting_high Member

Its the bands principalcornet that does that scream.
    He had a kind of tradition on doing that. :idea: (I believe it can be found on
    some Norwegian Champ CDs too.)

Nowadays he is playing with Stavanger.

Frode

16. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Just listening to PJBE Greatest Hits. Very first track, The Earle of Oxforde's Marche (Byrd arr. Howarth). At 2'02'', someone seems to quite audibly empty their instrument of spittle and again very briefly at 2'11'! (Having heard this track countless times over the years, that was the first time I noticed it!)

17. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Although not strictly 'on topic' I am apparently famous at the NEAB (AQA as it now is) for leaving little 'messages' at the ends (and occasionally middles and starts) of GCSE performances. One notable year when the tape machine was being particularly difficult, I apparently left the words "Oh Bugger it!" clearly audible at the end of a performance. :oops: :oops:

18. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I remember hearing a recording of Stavanger (I think) playing Ejala, it ended with a guy shouting "Yes!" and since the band were doing a similar sort of set, we stole (borrowed) it for ours...