Interested in how many

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by brassyboy, Feb 24, 2008.

1. brassyboy

brassyboy Member

Brass Banders play alternative music ie Jazz, Funk, salsa, ska or classical either in bands, orchestras or just for themselves!

Those that post here often slip in the odd mention of jazz or classical music and I wonder how common it is to be in more than one style of band!

I wonder who has the broadest range of musical activity?

Is there scope for a Brass Band Jazz band made up from members of our brass bands?

Please post here if you play anything other than in a brass band and lets see what a interesting crowd we have!

Brassy Boy

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Banders
    many
    bands
    alternative music ie Jazz
    classical
  3. Daisy Duck

Daisy Duck Member

I play the trumpet in a big band, and also dep with several other big bands.

I also play the trumpet in various orchestras when needed.

I used to play in a wind band.

Occasionally,I play in the pit for musicals.

Sometimes I play in a brass quintet (2 trumpets, French horn, trombone, tuba).

I think it's important to play a wide variety of styles of music and I like playing in lots of different ensembles.

4. jamieow

jamieow Member

I also play bass guitar in a 'function' band - weddings, corporate events etc...

www.myspace.com/thebigbeatband

also used to play bass guitar in another 'originals' band - did a Steve Lamacq Radio 1 live session from Maida Vale, supported the Kooks, Juliette Lewis and the Licks, The Fratellis and loads of others....got to 38 in the charts at our highest placing.....got video played on MTV2, Radio 1 and 2 playlisted etc.......

5. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

At the moment, as well as brass band, I'm in a function band, an Ellington Jazz orchestra and a brass quintet. As well as them, I play in several orchestras when I'm needed and dep for big bands. On top of that, I regularly play in shows and do solo work for weddings/funerals etc.

I'll play in anything, especially if there's £££ involved!

6. emziesonic

emziesonic Member

I play in a jazz band as well as my brass band and play tenor horn in it but have to play saxaphone music, because my instrument doesnt exist in a jazz band! Not very good...:frown:

7. i've played bass guitar in a hardcore metal band, as well a punk and alternative rock band.

currently on hiatus :p

8. millie6589

millie6589 Member

i play saxophone and have played in various jazz/big bands aswell as playing in brass bands. i have also been part of a choir and play piano and flute when i get the opportunity!

9. omega56

omega56 Member

I play Bass Guitar in a classic rock covers band,have a
    look at our website www.lastordersyork.piczo.com its great to play in two such diverse musical projects !

10. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I've played saxophone in a wide range of groups, including concert band, saxophone quartet & sextet, big band (Kenton style & also 1920s/30s), small dance combo.

Tuba in brass band, brass quintet and tuba quartet.

(Also viola in the school orchestra many moons ago, but we won't mention that :eek: )

11. David Mann

David Mann Member

See my signature!

Also played in orchestras and wind bands. Would like to play in a pit band and brass quintet some day.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Banders
    many
    bands
    alternative music ie Jazz
    classical
  13. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

Over the years I have done alsorts.
    Brass bands (Tenor, Bass trombone and euph), Jazz Bands, Swing bands, Big Bands, Pit work (All on either trombone or electirc bass), Orchestra (Tenor and alto trom, electric bass), brass ensembles of varying sizes, Trombone ensembles of varying sizes (On tenor, alto and euph), Tuba quartet (On a euph) Wind bands (Euph, trombone and electric bass), Rock bands, Metal Bands, even a beach boys cover band (High falsetto :tup )

Oh and a couple of choirs! :biggrin:

14. Ryan06

Ryan06 Member

I play in a Orchestra as well as the brass band. I also use to sing in a choir but I dont anymore as I just want to focus on my brass instrument :p

15. Yes I know the feeling!! i played tenor horn in a jazz band (and got some funny looks!!) and had to transpose french horn parts in the orchestra at school..............

Tenor horn players of the world unite! ;)

16. millie6589

millie6589 Member

see i am also a tenor horn player but i play the saxophone too so never had the problem! i do sympathise though cos us horns seem to be forgotten about quite often! i was at a contest and looking at a stall selling some really cool plastic mouthpieces, only to be told that i would be able to get one for any instrument but the horn! gutted! does anyone know where i might be able to get one or do they not exist for horns at all?

17. i think the plastic mouthpieces have been talked about a few times on here and i'm sure there were rumours of a horn one, but it hasn't surfaced. don't quote me on that though!

well i play the bass guitar as well, but lets face it its not as exciting as the tenor horn ;)

18. millie6589

millie6589 Member

no nothing can compare to the excitement of arriving at practice and opening your case and seeing your lovely gleaming horn shining out at you....! that reminds me, better give mine a polish when i get home...! i'll keep my eyes peeled on the mouthpiece front and report back if i have any luck!

19. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

There are loads of threads about Kelly and other brands of plastic mouthpieces - search for either Kelly Mouthpiees or Plastic Mouthpieces and you'll see what I mean. The two main threads seem to be these ones though:

http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showthread.php?t=17371
    http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showthread.php?t=23970

Sorry!! :D