Interelligent Adverts

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by bigmamabadger, Sep 24, 2004.

1. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

These Google ad banner things. Are they supposed to take notice of what you write in your post or am I just weird that way?
    On the thread that led to a discussion about Belgium being the capital of Scotland (or whatever) the adverts were for weekend breaks in Belgium.
    Then I replied to Lynchie's comment about lemon drizzle cake and the amount of sugar therein, and the advert came up with the America Diabetes Association website.
    This has serious implications for the profanity filter asterisker thingy. Will we be getting adverts for strange and esoteric websites?
    I think we should be told
    BMB
    xx

2. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

3. bigmamabadger

Aha! So that's what AdSense means.
    Cool!
    BMB
    xx

4. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

The AdSense program (which is what they are from) reads the page and attempts to tailor the ads to the content on the that page. The current technology doesn't work as well on dynamic pages (like these), because the content could change depending on how the php is called. So the ads may not be quite as well targeted.

You may also see some pages showing public service ads. This usually means that the page hasn't been indexed by Google yet, so it doesn't know waht to display. The ads won't change immediately when something is posted, the GoogleBot has to visit first.

As far as the asterisk thingys, the program allows a "Safe" filter to be put on the ads displayed, so that no untoward ads appear. I'm sure that John has applied this filter.

This program is fairly efficient at producing some revenue. On my site, I get an effective CPM (money per 1000 impressions) of over $2 US. The best part of the program is that the person clicking on the ad doesn't have to make a purchase - the payment is based on the click. I've generated far more income (percentage-wise) from the AdSense program on my site than from the three or four traditional affiliate programs I also participate in.

5. bigmamabadger

So every time we click on one of the ad banners we make money for tMP?
    BMB
    xx

6. TheMusicMan

Many thanks for this explanation Robert... and I do believe that the safe filter is indeed on...:)

7. TheMusicMan

You bet Rebecca... :):)

Last edited: Sep 24, 2004
  8. bigmamabadger

Get those mice working!
    xx
    BMB

9. TheMusicMan

Wohooooo... someone understands.... hehehehehe ;)

10. rutty

rutty Active Member

Now I feel guilty about using the Adblock extension in Firefox...

...oh well, better go order me a tie or something then :)

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Belgium
    Google
    Scotland
    Lynchie
  12. TheMusicMan

Or better still... go to

User CP > Paid Subscriptions > choose one :)

13. rutty

rutty Active Member

Done :)

Still want the tie though ;)

14. TheMusicMan

It's not true what they say about you Dave... you ARE a gentleman... :);):biggrin:

Many thanks sir!

15. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

John - is the Google search box on the portal page hooked up to AdSense?

16. TheMusicMan

Not yet Robert, but I will be putting another AdSense block within that... this will also help when Google sends out its spiders.