Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Ann-Marie, Feb 3, 2004.

  1. Ann-Marie

    Ann-Marie Member

    Every chance that this may already be on here somewhere but I am after some advice.

    I have recently started playing again and could do with getting my cornet insured what with the Areas coming up. Can't find my old documents anywhere so would appreciate the details of any companies you may know of.

    Cheers! :wink:
  2. carlwoodman

    carlwoodman Member

    I use Brass Band Insurance Services in Hayes, Middlesex.
    Paperwork is at home but will post details later if required.
  3. Ann-Marie

    Ann-Marie Member

    Thanks, that would be much appreciated.
  4. carlwoodman

    carlwoodman Member

    Address: 312 High Street
    UB3 5BT
    Tel: (+44)(0)20 8759 0825
    Fax: (+44)(0)20 8564 9063
  5. Ann-Marie

    Ann-Marie Member

    Thank you
  6. bruceg

    bruceg Active Member

    Just a thought, but if you have home contents insurance then check whether it qualifies as a high value item on your existing policy.
  7. Ann-Marie

    Ann-Marie Member

    Home Contents cover - They have said its ok whilst it is in the house but it would not be covered in the car or anywhere away from home. Not really sure how they work that one out though as on reading the policy document I am insured for up to £1500 on camera/camcorder equipment here or abroad :?

    The strange world of insurance............ :roll:
  8. bruceg

    bruceg Active Member

    The electronic / photographic equipment is usually covered under a blanket clause. Did you check whether they'd cover it as a separate item in the way they treat individual items of jewellery? If they'll do it then it'd probably work out cheaper than a whole separate insurance policy.

    Of course, the specialist cover mentioned in the earlier posts might be worth the money for the peace of mind it would afford you...
  9. Accidental

    Accidental Supporting Member

    Most home insurance policies also offer additional cover for "personal belongings" away from home, usually limited to £1000 or £1500 per item so no good for bigger instruments, but we have a cornet and horn covered under this extension. Its worth checking if this offers the cover you need, as its considerably cheaper than specialist BB insurance.
  10. davidsait

    davidsait Member

  11. richard rich

    richard rich New Member

    Some band insurance policies don't cover instruments left in cars over night so do read the small print.
  12. Jo Elson

    Jo Elson Member

    This is slightly off topic but it's about insurance and musicians. My boyfriend plays his trombone on a cruise ship and when he came home he tried to get insured on a friends car which was fine until they asked his occupation and then they said 'oh sorry we don't insure musicians!'- i don't get it, it wasn't like he was gonna be carrying his instrument in the car anyway.
  13. Cantonian

    Cantonian Active Member

    at 2.47pm

    At 3.15 pm information posted. It must be a tough life Carl....any vacancies?
  14. tim

    tim Member

    Its because of the hours they work.

    My sister had the same problem as a theatre electrician bcause she worked reli late hours and technicians often have crashes because of tiredness and so are a nightmare for insurance companies to insure as it costs them money.
  15. MRSH

    MRSH Supporting Member

  16. backrowbloke

    backrowbloke Member

    Bit surprised, as my household contents insurance covers my cornet..all i had to do was list it as a valuable item. There is no problem covering in the car, at concert etc. and as I have accidental cover for household contents is covered for damage as well as loos or theft.
  17. flugelgal

    flugelgal Active Member

    I really couldn't resist this - I apologise in advance - but why is it covered for loos?

  18. backrowbloke

    backrowbloke Member

    Argh!!!!!! sticky fingers :? Well, if i did flush it away, at least i would know it was covered. :oops: I must have been thinking about my post to BMB dating about practising in the bathroom..

    Was gonna edit the original post, but its too funny....Thanx Kirsty
  19. T-Horn

    T-Horn Member

    My T-Horn is covered on my parents home insurance even though I study in Manchester
  20. youngman

    youngman Member

    We use competitive brass band cover at Nottingham through Egger Lawson. Brian Griffiths or Tony Thomas. Very good service at reasonable rates.