Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Veri, Feb 17, 2007.

  1. Veri

    Veri Member

    Hi everyone,

    Possibly this has been asked before, but I'd welcome a bit of advice.

    I bought a 2nd hand Sovereign bari at Butlins (£925), and have had £160 of work done to it, and apparently now it's worth £12-1300. So obviously, I need to insure it.

    I don't know how to go about insuring it. My euphonium is insured under household contents, but my Dad pays that at the mo, but I haven't told him that I spent my student overdraft on the baritone :oops:, so I want to insure it myself. Which companies might do it? And, how can I insure it for £1200-1300 when I only have a receiptfor £925...

    I'm also probably going to get a gig bag so that I can cycle with it. Probably not a good idea, but, is there insurance that could cover me for that?

    Any ideas welcomed!


  2. floral_dance

    floral_dance Member

    You can get in touch with Brass Band Insurance Services they are really good and reasonably priced. You don't need a receipt you tell them how much you want to insure it for, ie, the value of the intrument I have my cornet and trumpet insured for about £2500 and I only pay £35.00 a year. They provide a good service and don't quibble if you make a claim.
  3. TheMusicMan

    TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

    Do a search on here for 'Instrument Insurance' - it yields lots of results.
  4. Veri

    Veri Member

    Thanks, that's great. :clap:
  5. TheMusicMan

    TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

    No probs, did you find anything useful?
  6. Veri

    Veri Member

    Everyone, like floral_dance seemed to recommend Brass Band Insurance Services. The internet quote suggested £13.65, so I've applied with them. Just waiting to see whether they mind about a £400 difference between what I paid and what I'm insuring it for...
  7. ian schofield

    ian schofield New Member

    I've just insured my new Cornet ( Value just over £2000) with the following, it cost me £42 which includes theft from a Motor Vehicle.
  8. stopher

    stopher Member

    I've just re-insured mine with Allianz Cornhill. I paid £100 which covers my cornet. 2 trumpets, picc, my sister's violin (sorry didn;'t mean to swear mods!) and my girlfriends clarinet - thnk it was about £7000 in cover.

    Might sound expensive but I have mashed the bell on my trumpet twice and had it repaired both times and a cornet and trumpet stolen from a gig bag in my car and they covered it. I had no problems with them at all and they were very helpful - always worth remembering when you want to claim (I found Endsleigh to be a pain when the instruments got nicked as there was other stuff in the car as well. Allianz sorted in 4 weeks, Endsleigh 6 months!)
  9. floral_dance

    floral_dance Member

    £100 for £7000 worth of cover is not too pricey. I managed to dent the side of my new Xeno cornet all the way down the side to the flare of the bell and when I contacted BBIS there was no trouble at all, got the go ahead to get it repaired in less than a week. As you say no hassle which is what you are looking for.
  10. andyh

    andyh Supporting Member

    I insure my Smith-Watkins with BBIS and also my daughters Getzen cornet. I'd like to use a gig bag too but BBIS have made it quite clear that they will only provide cover if you stick to using the hard case supplied by the manufacturer...
  11. Baritonedeaf

    Baritonedeaf Member

    E and L Insurance

    I have cover valued at £8509 with them for a £95 yearly premium. Includes cover for the instrument from a car, on an all risk basis - basically if anything happens to it, it is covered.

    They are excellent.
  12. llewellynd

    llewellynd Member

    Without sounding alarmist,check the small print for clauses regarding excess deductions. E&L have had a bad reputation in the past as their excess was based on a percentage of the total cover, eg 5% on £1,000 = £50, 5% on £8,509 £425.45.

    They may have sorted the problem but its worth checking.
  13. tinytimp

    tinytimp Member

    No I'm sure they won't mind at all. I've got all my instruments covered with them and they've never asked for proof of how much it cost - they're more interest in the actual replacement value. I've given them a slightly higher value anyway, as I know one of the instruments strangely costs more now than it did when I bought it!
  14. persins

    persins Member

    I think mine are all insured on my new House Insurance!!!!!!
    I put them specifically on it so that they are covered for both inside and out of the house and therefore should be sorted! (I hope)!
  15. Liz Courts

    Liz Courts Active Member

    I'm with BBIS - luckily I haven't needed to claim yet, but I've heard they give a pretty good service, and they're reasonably priced...

Share This Page