Insurance For Your Pets

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by ian perks, Sep 19, 2006.

1. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Those of you who have Cats ,Dogs etc .
    Do you have Pet Insurance or do you just take your pet to the vet and pay up regardless to what the cost is even if it is a on going problem your pet as got.
    Bearing in mind vets bills are:eek: at times when you have to pay them.
    I have got pet insurance for my Cat Berlioz with Tesco

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Cats
    Cat Berlioz
    Tesco
    pet insurance
    eek
  3. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

I've got my insurance for my dog through Argos of all places. It's only £10 a month for Gold cover and I'm only expected to cover the first £50

I've had to use them twice (the last time saving us £300) and I usually do it direct with the vet which means I don't have to pay the money first and claim later.

I think it's mad not to have insurance for a dog as I'd hate it if he had something seriously wrong and I couldn't afford the bill

4. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

If you do go for insurance, which I would definitely strongly recommend, look for a policy which gives you "Cover For Life" - not just an annual policy.

Annual policies cover you for up to a certain amount (say £4000) in the policy year that you first have problems. This is fine for e.g. a simple broken leg which might cost several thousand initially but not have any ongoing costs. At the end of the year though the policy then excludes further claims for the same condition. The problem comes if you have an animal with an ongoing problem such as arthritis or diabetes which may need hundreds or thousands of pounds of treatment EVERY year for the rest of its life. With an annual policy you won't have any cover after the renewal date, with LIFETIME cover you can claim up to, for example, £4000 for EACH condition, EVERY year. Cheap policies aren't necesarily best value !!!

Ron (BVSc., CertZooMed., MRCVS..; Veterinary Surgeon)

5. postie

postie Member

We used to have a cat called Reg - bless him - he was insured. We found the insurance policy a very useful policy to have as we did have to spend a fair amount especially during the last couple of years of his life. We did have Tescos pet insurance but then when he turned 11 / 12 Tescos refused to insure him because he was too old!!! We were a bit surprised and soon found another insurance firm that were not ageist!!! So we were with PAWS for the remainder of his life. He lived to 16 years of age and the insurance paid for visits to the vet, medical treatment, x rays, tests and tablets which was a relief. However the only thing they do not pay for is special food and innoculations which is fair enough.

I certainly do recommend pet insurance and at least you know your pet is covered.

6. vonny

vonny Member

Berloiz the pussy - where did you get the name from Ian?

7. daisygemma

daisygemma Member

Our 2 cats are insured with Tesco.

When the renewal came through in March it had gone up quite a bit and I thought about cancelling it. Fortunately I decided to keep the insurance.

This summer one of the cats had to have loads of blood tests and a thyroidectomy that would have cost over £1,500. The other cat also had to have a load of tests to find out why she was pulling her fur out. I think her bill was over £500.

All I had to pay was £40 for each cat and the vet dealt directly with the insurers.

8. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Just want to say:
    Tesco Pet Insurance went very expensive towards the last 2/3 years i had my cat those who have got insurance with Tesco shop around as you can get it a lot cheaper than Tesco

9. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

M&S for my dog. Lifetime policy. Better value than the Kennel Club insurance.

10. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

I'm with More Than. They are good at paying out but like all other providers the monthly payments have rocketted. In the 7 years I have had the dog they have gone up by about 2.5 times.
    Unfortunately my dog has a blood disorder Auto Immune Hemolytic Anemia which means she has to have an immune suppressant and a steroid tablet every day and a check-up and blood test every three months. The condition is a killer in most dogs but my dog is lucky as the treatment works well for her and she lives a completely normal life.
    Because of this I am trapped and have to stick with my present insurer as no other would take on a dog with this life long condition. Currently my claims amount to far more than I am paying out in premiums so I'm happy to insure, but it does still seem hellish expensive.

11. CLAIRE SPONG

CLAIRE SPONG Member

Our cat is insured with Healthy Pets.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Cats
    Cat Berlioz
    Tesco
    pet insurance
    eek
  13. bassendworld

bassendworld Member

Asda insurance for my 10 year old dog - Fergal about £12 a month

The cat Paris no insurance - not sure there is much point seems healthy enough and never goes anywhere!