Instruments Stolen

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by paddo, Jan 3, 2005.

1. paddo

paddo Member

Not a very good start to the new year me thinks!

Some time over the past 2 or 3 days the Knottingley Silver Band has had their band room broken in to and quite a few instruments taken. Quite a few of the instruments are only a couple of years old due to a lottery grant, some of these included a BBb bass, Euph, several Trombones and cornets and a photocopier. The police have found one Euph abandoned at the side of the road several miles away.

If any one is offered or hears anything with respect to cheap instruments being sold or offered please either let the police know or contact me through the PM.

Thank you.

2. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

:shock: Really sorry to hear about this!

I hope you get back as many instruments as possible... what a horrible thing to do.
    Check eBay out, just incase....

3. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Very sorry to hear about this. It's obvious the thieves have no real idea of what they have got. I assume you have insurance and all your serial numbers. It's not much consolation, I know, but at least there's some chance of replacing everything.
  4. paddo

paddo Member

Yes fortunatley we do have all serial numbers and they are all insured. But wouldn't you just like to confront this low life?

Probably be doing time by now!!!!
  5. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Yes, but only after a protracted spell in the hospital wing first :evil:
  6. paddo

paddo Member

Yes, but I meant I would be doing time!

7. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Oh, I pity anyone who crosses Paddo - they don't know what they've unleashed !!
    They're "Dead Men Walking"
    If Paddo finds the crims before the Police, (Highly likely) it will probably take six surgeons three days to remove the instruments, (Especially the BBb), from the place on the crims where Paddo will have inserted them !!!
    Seriously, it's an awful thing to happen, and a good job the instruments were insured - but it's still a pain in the **** (Not as big a pain in the **** as the crims will get if Paddo is let loose !!).
    Sic 'em Boy !!!
  8. Brassb3ll3nd

Brassb3ll3nd Member

That's really bad news and not a good way to start the New Year.

I hope the culprits get their comeuppance soon and that the Band gets their gear back - undamaged. It's not what a Band needs before the start of a new contesting season.
  9. NeilW

NeilW Member

Make sure all the music shops in the area have the full details of all the stolen instruments. Ask them to call the police immediately if any come in "for sale" - while the seller is still there!

A local band here had some cavalry (fanfare) trumpets stolen and they were offered to Rosehill's who "stalled" (had to look up details / check the value etc) while the police arrived and arrested the seller. Full marks to them!

Good luck

10. paddo

paddo Member

I must say a big thank you to all who have posted reply's and who have contacted me personally. We found the BBb but the rest are still missing.

PS, Ian! I have my hounds on the job!

11. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

I'd check your local (and less reputable) musical instrument dealers. I have a professional trumpet playing friend whose stolen instruments turned up at a local music shop along with a drum kit that had been pinched from the bluetones!
  12. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

These people are worse than pond scum...Hope you get your gear back the meantime we'll keep our ears to the ground.
  13. postie

postie Member

Well at least some of the instruments are starting to turn up anyway!!!!
  14. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Good luck finding these instruments - do people just get the pleasure from nicking something regardless of whether they have any where to off load the stuff? Quite some haul what with the bass etc.

At our last rehearsal before Christmas we had a group of 5 youths hanging about outside and I went out to see what they wanted. Seemed mildly interested in the band so we invited them in to listen; better than banging on the windows etc. They sat quietly for 20 minutes and then clearly got a bit bored and left one by one.

As we left reheasal at the end of the night I noticed a few broken Christmas tree decorations on the exit stairs - needless to say said youths had stolen the local nursery's Christmas tree. This was behind a door in the entrance loby and they had closed this door as they left. Can't see them taking it home ("oh look Mum I've got you a fully decorated Christmas tree") so it probably ended up chucked in someones garden or over a field hedge.

We will be keeping a look out for these kids at future rehearsals.
  15. paddo

paddo Member

I would just like to inform everyone that has read this thread of an update with our instruments.

Most of what we thought was stolen where actually taken home!(they still didn't practice so I don't know why?) what has actually been taken is as follows.

one lacq' baritone, conductors pad with his scores in it! (why?) 2 recording mikes, mixing desk and a dat machine.

One Euph was recovered by the police at the side of the road a couple of miles away.

Seems that these low life scum only take things that they will only be able to sell in the pub that night, why a conductors pad we'll never know though.

cheers to you all.
  16. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

Just a thought as I recently mentioned in a thread we had some percussion gear go missing at the last contest we were at. Would it perhaps be worth putting a section on tmp where we can report details of any lost/ stolen instruments ect. If it helps get 1 instrument back to it's rightful owner it would be worth it