Instruments ( Geeky banter warning! )

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by DanEuph94, Mar 23, 2011.

1. DanEuph94

DanEuph94 New Member

Hey all, i've recently taken hold of an old round stamp euph, and it has sparked an interest in old instruments in me, I find that they are much more pleasant to play than the modern ones being made.
    Anyway, now that my " round stamp " is awesome and epic, I am now trying to find one of the " new standard " euphoniums, the ones that John Clough and Morgan Griffiths played on. My attempts have been futile so far so I was wondering if any of you bandists could help me in locating one.

Cheers. :tongue:

2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

There's a couple on eBay, but maybe needing a little TLC ... link is here.

3. DanEuph94

DanEuph94 New Member

I've been searching around on Ebay, they seem good, i'm really looking for a local one first, if there are none around, i'll consider using Ebay then.

4. simonium

simonium Member

Morgan Griffiths plays on a Besson Sovereign 966 model. I know as I had a lesson with him last month :) I do know that Trevada have a second hand one in at the moment. Might be an idea to give them a call on 01209 714353.

5. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Charley Brighton is the uber-geek of euphoniums (in a good way!) and an absolute mine of information and resources, he would be a very good place for you to start. He's on here as "Highams", and has his own website.

6. jennyt125

jennyt125 Member

As previously said Morgan Griffiths plays a Besson Sovereign 966 and mine is for sale on Ebay :)
    They seem to be quite rare but pop up from time to time.

7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

The American (and overpriced?) New Standard for sale on eBay is how I remember them in the '70s. I tried one of the cornets but found the sound drier than Imperials/Sovereigns and Internationals available at that time.