instruments from china on ebay

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by hellraiser, Sep 16, 2006.

1. hellraiser

hellraiser Member

hi
    has anyone bought any of these instruments from china on ebay
    are they the real deal or fake, they seem cheap
    saw a bach stradivarius trumpet which could sell for £120 in total including all delivery costs
    is this for real or a scam
    thanks

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    instruments
    china
    total
    delivery costs
    bach stradivarius trumpet
  3. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

You can't be sure with these but it seems to me that they sell an awful lot of them. Surely if it was a scam people would have reported it and they would no longer be allowed to sell? Personally I wouldn't buy one of these- I don't trust them- but there is no reason they aren't real. If you look at the P&P prices the sellers would be able to make profit here, which could perhaps be why the instruments themselves are so cheap?

4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

You get what you pay for and the longer the journey the more it would cost to send for repairs if there are any problems. I have no idea what standards are imposed for quality control.

5. hellraiser

hellraiser Member

6. I do quite a lot of buying and selling on ebay - all sorts of things...

I'd suggest you look closely at the seller's feedback - not just the total and % positive, but what they have been selling - have they had any positive feedback for the type of item you intend to buy? You can also see what country the buyer was in, which may or may not reassure you about the postage...

Goes for all ebay transactions really...

7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

First of all, it is a copy and rebranded as a China Bach Strad.

some negative feedback comments (seller has a variety of products for sale, mainly jewellry)

no item info.

no item info.

Tibet Hand-painted Butterfly Flower table

no item info.

- since the guy isn't a brass instrument dealer, I wouldn't go near him to start with.

8. hellraiser

hellraiser Member

thanks for your input, guess it's best to stay away eh? thought it was too good to be true at first glance ;)

9. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I think a safe way to look at any ebay transaction is with a "if it seems too good to be true it probably is" type mentality. Personally I wouldn't touch any of these Chinese instruments with someone elses heavily extended barge pole, unless I could try one, and check out at the build quality first. But then I wouldn't buy any instrument without doing that first anyway - even from any of the more well-known Western manufacturers.

I see the vast majority of these instuments as being a potentially expensive mistake. Expensive as you will most likely shell out a hundred quid plus on something which is basically scrap brass. So then you will have to go and buy something decent anyway, but you'll be a hundred quid lighter. Remember something is only cheap if its good quality and usable for a reduced price.

If you're after a cheap and cheerful trumpet, there are a number of manufacturers who can sort you out for not a lot more than that trumpet is being sold for. Admittedly I guess most of these instruments are also made in the Far East, but the difference is that you will have a UK based dealer who you can go to if things go wrong, and you should also have the opportunity to try before you commit any money.

Oh, and don't you just love translation programs?

Quality. We're talking about a trumpet here remember. Or are we? Maybe he uses the same discription for any of his items - after all it says absolutely nothing about what you're supposed to be bidding on. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 16, 2006
  10. BrianT

BrianT Member

Friend of mine bought a couple of cheap Indian cornets. He let me have a go - they were comical. The vertical axes of the three valves weren't all parallel. The slide legs boinged apart when you pulled them out and the intonation was terrible. And they sounded like they had a sock stuffed up the end. Shame really - I reckon if they used proper jigs to hold everything together when they soldered them they wouldn't be half so bad. But they weren't usable instruments - they'd be so demoralizing for beginner players. They looked too good to be true and they were...

11. Does it really cost £100-150 to send a trumpet from China?!

Some ebay sellers stick an inflated "postage" charge onto their goods, to prevent you returning them (you can reclaim the bid price if it's not as described, but you can't reclaim the "postage"). It also cons people who don't notice the exorbitant "postage" rates until they've put their bid in. Does £123 for postage seem reasonable?

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    instruments
    china
    total
    delivery costs
    bach stradivarius trumpet
  13. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

<These instruments> may not be the best in the world, but at least they guarantee to be ........ errm ....... the heaviest euphoniums on e-bay - at least 2 Kg heavier than the others so it says!

Not quite sure why that's such a good thing ??????

14. dyl

dyl Active Member

Could be handy when carolling outside in the horrendous winds we've had lately! ;)

15. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Blimey what are they made of? Lead?

EDIT: Hmm Chrome plated....I bet that Euph really rings and sings like a lark...:rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2006
  16. Dianne

Dianne New Member

Hi, I have been living in Shanghai for 5 months now. I would strongly recommend against buying Chinese copies of instruments. The school I teach brass in has several "made in china" trumpets and they are not good at all. They try to sell new antiques and real copies so take from that what you will!
    Apart from that great place to visit if you get a chance!

17. ronnie_the_lizard

.............they're obviously custom built for heavy metal bands:icon_rolleyes: .

18. Glehany

Glehany Member

Not worth getting you to bring some back with you then? What about chinese flugels - any good?

Gordon

19. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

If they made barge poles 20 feet long.....

20. ronnie_the_lizard

Would that be the ones with the item title "Rare Musical Instrument" - so rare that there's 5 of them listed !

What...... you mean like this.....

" Here we have a bueatifull antique that will bring good luck you to and many years of happy using. This barge pole is unique and rare sculpture that has no cracks or dents and was worshiped by ancient peoples. Happy bidding. "

21. andyp

andyp Active Member

I wouldn't touch any of them with any barge-pole!

Poorly made, high postage costs, badly translated descriptions all variations on the same sentence, no comeback cos you can't get hold of the seller except by e-mail. No way!

I've bought/sold a fair amount on Ebay, and the best piece of advice I've heard is to treat it as you would a car boot sale. Buyer beware. The vast majority of people on it are trustworthy, but that still leaves quite a lot that are not!

22. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Who would want a magnetic trumpet anyway??!! Might be attracted to your music stand or stick to the buttons of yourjacket!!