Instrumentation change for the nationals?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by GordonH, Jun 14, 2010.

1. GordonH

GordonH Member

I hear that the SBBA are considering introducing chromatic Vuvuzela horns as an optional section to the traditional band line up for next year's Scottish.

See below:

2. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

Crumbs, that looks like a very bad joke, or a modified Gatling gun.
  3. GordonH

GordonH Member

I am a very naughty boy but it was too good to resist.

Its a real instrument called a "schalmei". Imaging an old fashioned car horn but without the rubber bulb then fit eight together with valves so you can play a scale. It was used by school bands in Germany a bit like the majorettes here used to use the metal kazoos shaped like a trumpet bell.
  4. euphoria

euphoria Member

That is the nastiest instrument I've ever seen :sup

I thought that you made a mistake about it being a Schalmei as I used to think that they were single-bell reed instruments. I googled and found that you were completely correct in that this is a signal-schalmei used by train conductors (not trained conductors though) and members of the Nazi youth organisation :-?
  5. simonium

simonium Member

What, nastier even than the baritone horn? ;)
  6. Griffis

Griffis Member

What about this bad boy then?? Imagine the looks on the trombone players faces when you tell them they have to play this...!!

Attached Files:

• wtf.jpg
      File size:
      28.4 KB
  7. I couldn't get the description to go with the picture above.

I call this one a valved ophecleide. It is in E flat, high pitch. We have used it on occasion with the ISB, and in demonstrations of antique instruments. Two valves are played with the left hand, and two with the right. It is pretty tricky to play.
  8. still learnin

still learnin Member

Definitely recommend vaseline as the lubricant of choice for the vuvuzela!!!
  9. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

I recommend earplugs where all vuvuzelas are concerned!
  10. I am fascinated that our news coverage here discusses this as if it were a part of African culture. They are a plastic trumpet that we sold on the circus novelty stand for over 30 years.
  11. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

With the best will in the world, Bill - football fans everywhere wish you hadn't..... ;)
  12. Believe me, we never had the volume (no pun intended) of sales they have had there. I wish we had, because with that amount of money I could retire somewhere quieter, and far away.