Instrument 'Testdrives'

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by cookie2, Sep 1, 2006.

1. cookie2

cookie2 Member

I've been reading the thread 'Flugel Help Please!!!' with a great deal of interest as I am considering buying a new one myself. I have found all the posts really useful too, so thanks to Caz Clay for starting that one up!

Trouble is, I now want to go and try out all these different instruments so that I can decide which is the one for me, but I don't know how to go about it. All the music shops I go in seem to just stock Yamaha and Bach flugels. Nothing against these makes (I currently play a Strad), but does anyone know where I can get to try a wider range?

I live in Sheffield, so not a fantastic range of music shops to go at here :frown: but surely with Yorkshire being such a fantastic banding area there must be somewhere I can go for a right good browse. I would also like to try the instruments out on approval, but the last shop I asked in said I would have to buy it if I wanted to take one away, which doesn't seem too helpful.

Can anyone help?
  2. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

If you contact one of the more common retailers e.g. Normans, Band Supplies etc they will quite often send you an instrument on a weeks trial. That is what I did when I was in the hunt for a new cornet

Just an idea
  3. cookie2

cookie2 Member

And did Band Supplies agree? It was them who told me I would have to buy it! :frown: Would be nice to know there's a precedent.
  4. GingerMaestro

I am pretty sure it was band supplies I went through and I actually had it for a month unofficially but it was supposed to be a week
  5. squirrel

squirrel Member

I wonder if they'd be more willing to lend on a trial basis if it was through a band rather than you going direct to them? More hassle for you I know, but just a thought...
  6. GingerMaestro

I can't remember if when I did it , it was with reference to my band at the time or just me. But definately worth a try
  7. cookie2

cookie2 Member

Are you listening StanningtonBrassBand? Might need your help here! :D
  8. Broadland Music

Broadland Music New Member

If you can get to Norwich, come on in to Broadland Music where you can try a range of flugels against each other to find the one that best suits you.

Current stock includes these:
    • Courtois 159R in BSP
    • Courtois 155R in lacquer (2nd hand)
    • London Musical Instruments "Royal" RO45
    • Yamaha YFH6310Z in lacquer
    • Weril Regium II
    It's well worth the journey and the time if you find the instrument you like best! It's a good idea to book a time if you're travelling a distance and you want to try a range of instruments so we can make sure you're looked after.

Also a good idea to bring your own mouthpiece and instrument for comparison.

Check out or website for more details at, or drop us a line on 01603 660827. Oh - and don't forget to pick up some Zaja Blue when you visit!

Broadland Music.
  9. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I would say generally, just ask. If you local music supplier isn't able to help then find someone who can. For instance if you want to try a Kanstul flugel (which I recommend) then ring Phil Parker's in London to see of they can sort a demo out for you. Also Fred Rhodes are the suppliers of Courtois stuff here in the UK. I'm sure most would be glad to help if you are genuinely interested in buying an instrument.
  10. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Or if you are looking for the best, take a trip down to Luton and try the Eclipses in the workshop.
    They otften have quite a number of trade-ins as well as their own instruments, so you might just find what you are looking for there (when I chose mine I tried a few Eclipses, two Getzens, a Bach, a couple of Yamahas and a Jupiter).
  11. cookie2

cookie2 Member

Thanks everyone, some really helpful suggestions :D

I'll let you know how I go on.

12. matt_BBb_bass

matt_BBb_bass Member

if you every come to cornwall with have a really good music shop called trevada its brilliant
  13. bassmittens

bassmittens Member

I'm sure "StanningtonBrassBand" has borrowed an instrument in the past from our regular instrument supplier to try. In fact our previous flugel player may even have had the very instument you now use, on loan to try before we bought it. (I'm sure i'll be corrected if i'm wrong with this!)

Might be worth a word with 'she who must be obeyed'!
  14. cookie2

cookie2 Member

Aha, well I'll give that a try then. Who is out regular supplier by the way? (thought that was Roberts lol!)
    I'd be interested to know how she managed that, it's been mine for 15 years! ;)

Yeah thanks, I'll do that tomorrow. Hope for your sake she's not read this though :eek: Go on SBB, give him a slap!