Instrument Shops

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Jack, Apr 2, 2011.

1. Jack

Jack Member

I'm looking to potentially buy a cornet within the next few months, so I was wondering if there were any shops that I would be able to try a few out to help me make my decision. Don't mind travelling if its a big shop with all the different makes in stock.
  2. Where abouts are you?
  3. Jack

Jack Member

Sorry probably should of mentioned that, my home address is about 20 miles north of Manchester but during term time I go to uni in Nottingham
  4. Ah Ha,

Come and see us then.
    Music Cellar.

5. AndrewL

AndrewL Member

6. JSA.

JSA. New Member

Glynn Williams is good for cornets, heres a link if you want to have a look, i tried some of the cornets and there really good, not to expensive either. Good luck on finding a cornet.
  7. Jack

Jack Member

thanks for your suggestions anyone know of any others that have a large stock of the top of the range instruments?
  8. Adamshorn

Adamshorn New Member

9. pbirch

pbirch Member

his website has been "coming soon" for an awful long time though...
  10. AndrewL

AndrewL Member

Normans usually have a wide choice. They are in Burton on Trent so quite close to Nottingham.
  11. Simes

Simes Supporting Member

Are you sure?

I went to their 'shop' in Burton some months ago when I was looking at buying a new Besson BBb Bass - rang the day before and was told to come in - got there and it's just a tin shed on an industrial estate - girl on reception - couple of electric pianos on show - asked to see the bass and the brass stuff and got told to clear off effectively - it was all too much trouble and could I ring or choose and buy on the web please... She was serving a couple of chaps who seemed to want a guitar lead - and I had to wait over 20 minutes for her to even acknowledge my presence...

Needless to say I took my money elsewhere. It was a shame as I had the cash in my pocket.
  12. AndrewL

AndrewL Member

I got my cornet from there and had no problem with the service. They had lots of makes available and there was no problem with letting me try all the models I wanted. I visited on two separate occasions and spent a lot of time there each time.

Another advantage with Normans is that they carry more than one of each model unlike other shops that I have visited who did not have some models in stock because they had sold it in the week.
  13. AndrewL

AndrewL Member

If you want to try a large number of top of the range cornets you may need to travel a bit. Packers had Smith-Watkins, prestige, Stomvi and Xeno when I visited. They are in the South West and you should call them before visiting to make sure all models are in stock. It's also worth paying a visit to the Eclipse factory in Watford.

Not sure whether there are any other cornets you should audition or where they are located but hopefully others can post their suggestions.
  14. Simes

Simes Supporting Member

Perhaps I arrived on bad day - despite arranging it beforehand! However, having bought a brand new bass now, they may have to wait another 20 years for me to be looking again!
  15. Mattytheshark

Mattytheshark Member

Get yourself to the Music Cellar in Preston!! Great people who know their brass bands!