Instrument Repairer Needed

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by barrytone, Apr 4, 2011.

1. barrytone

barrytone Member

I need an instrument repairer in West Yorkshire who can shorten the main tuning slide on my three valved sovereign baritone. It's a newish instrument but is very flat, it has become an issue when I am playing in bands in all registers of the instrument and needs sorting asap. I need the instrument turing round within a few days, if possible, as I have several concerts/contests coming up and need my own instrument to play.

PM me with any details.

2. If you can get over to Preston we ( can do that for you - although McQueens in Manchester might be a bit closer.
  3. Split Splat

Split Splat Member

get the hacksaw and do a DIY job! ;)
  4. barrytone

barrytone Member

Did that with the mouthpiece Pete, got better but still not sharp enough, thanks for the advice though! xx
  5. basebonetone

basebonetone Member

avoid octave above in hudds-just had a mouthpiece replated that six months!
  6. davejenkins

davejenkins Member

Absolutely - there's a fantastic guy called Tony Bertram-Smith in Wakefield/Robin Hood village. He has fixed up numerous trombones from me, including one or two dead-losses, at very, very reasonable prices. His number is 0113 2821624.
  7. Split Splat

Split Splat Member

Move down to the main slide then.....
    Its easy.... measure twice....cut once! ;)

Pete xxx
  8. barrytone

barrytone Member

Will try Tony Bertram-Smith, thanks for that information. Have bought a hacksaw and two tape measures Pete, will let you know how it goes if it comes to me doing a butchery job! xxxx
  9. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

OUCH !

I have had the lead pipe on my sousa cut on a band saw. But only done by a repaire Technition who knew what he was doing. Home repairs can make expensive mistakes!
  10. barrytone

barrytone Member

Had a really bad experience with Octave Above, well two in fact, but have learned my lesson. Anyone who is in any doubt of their abilities is welcome to look at the "lacquering" they did to my baritone that now needs to be acid stripped, and that's a clue as to how good it is!! NOT
  11. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

I have seen some bad repairs. they were being re done at the repairer I use. It's scarey. I'm glad I have found a good one and will be sticking with him as long as he is in trading and repairing. Just a pity for you he is so far away here near Brisbane Australia. BetterSounds Australia. I can't praise his work enough. one person needed a whole new set of valves because of the damage caused removing them from the Euphonium being serviced. Another had a new bell fitted to a french Horn and the repairer tried to solder it on without cleaning the laquer from the area to be soldered. it couldn't hold together and had to be re done at Bettersounds. just a couple of examples. Find a GOOD REPAIRER and always use the same one once found.
  12. SuperCat

SuperCat Member

I would have thought you'd go straight to Owen Wedgwood Fran? He's superb and fast.
  13. Brassbones

Brassbones Member

Ask Mick Rath, I know its not a trombone but he is local!
  14. davejenkins

davejenkins Member

..and very expensive.
  15. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Agreed. We always use owen (his business is called the brass doctor, and he's known as smooth and sophisticated on here).

He's always fast, does a fantastic job, and isn't nearly as expensive as others we've used in the past. I'd gladly recommend him to anyone.