Instrument Repair?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Cochyn, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Cochyn

Cochyn Member

Who's the best in the U.K. these days? Got a slight dent/bend in the bell on my Flugel and need it sorting out. Only want laquering from the Yamaha stamp on the bell down to the end of the bell. No point laquering the whole thing.

Any ideas???
  2. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

McQueen's, in Manchester, are good.
  3. We would recomend Owen Wedgewood, The Brass Doctor, Based in West Yorkshire.
  4. stooge

stooge New Member

Does the lacquer actually need to come off? A lot of dents can be removed without actually removing the lacquer. Mick Rath will do a decent job of it and be able to tell you if it needs stripping and re-lacquering.

Also, bear in mind what it will look like if you just redid the end? Awful, I'd say.

Hope that helps.
  5. BrotherBone

BrotherBone Member

Id suggest trying Paul Andrews - Brass Toff, he's based in warrington and can be contacted on
    01925 826927[​IMG]
  6. gaj

gaj New Member

Try Michael Rath in Honley in Yorkshire 01484660555 I know he deals in trombones but he is pretty good on repairs & laq. of any instrument :D
  7. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

Bob Young in Wellington, Telford, is a good 'un! Can sometimes repair 'while you wait'! Interesting to see him at work,too. His website is mob no: 07801 371904 and email is:

Used his service a few times and he's a very nice man...! :D
  8. Cochyn

Cochyn Member

Christ boys, a lotta choices here. No one has suggested one twice though, so no idea which to choose. Anyone have any before/after pics of instruments repaired? Also, has anyone just had the bell laquered/plated after repairing dents from the stamped logo on the bell downwards? So not doing the whole instrument I mean.
  9. stooge

stooge New Member

Apart from gaj and I, who both suggested Rath.
  10. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

11. Cochyn

Cochyn Member

My bad :oops: :lol:

Decided to go with McQueens in Manchester. They've been able to answer all my questions and supply loads of examples of before and after pics of exactly the same damage I have on my instrument. Prices are exellent too! :)

Cheers for the assistance people! ;)