Instrument repair south west *ASAP*

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by matt_BBb_bass, Sep 10, 2009.

1. matt_BBb_bass

matt_BBb_bass Member

Took my instrument out of its case last night (BBb bass) which i left in the band room on Monday night and found it last night with crease in the bell! Thing is i need it for the 2nd section national finals in 3weeks.... Anyone know of anyone that could do it? I tried my normal repairman but he is away till October!
  2. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

If you can get it to Cardiff then Dennis Wedgewood is your man.
  3. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

Ouch Matt! Any idea what happened?
  4. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Would guess probably down to it shifting in the case and there not being enough padding at the bell end. Have you banged the case down on its end recently? I did the same to my contrabass trombone a while back - the sheer weight of the instrument makes for quite a considerable force.

Might be worth leaving the repair until after the finals? It almost certainly won't make any noticeable difference to the instrument's playing response.
  5. There is a chap in Camborne who used to work in Trevada but he went solo, he lives in Camborne but cant remember his name.
  6. tubbytuba

tubbytuba Member

Hey Matt you dropped it on purpose lol!!! Thats one way to get all those other dents out that youve put in it!!!
  7. jim

jim Member

Just sent you a message matt with two people worth speeking to but you might have to get in your car and up the m5!
  8. baritastic

baritastic Member

The only person worth going to is Denis Wedgwood in cardiff. Everyone else is complete rubbish and will rip you off.

Denis: 02920460920 DO NOT take it in a gig bag or even mention one if it has ever been in 1 or he will kick you out of the shop

But tbh a creased bell really isn't going to make that much difference...

Or failing that you want Derek Farnell in Manchester: 01617407778
  9. matt_BBb_bass

matt_BBb_bass Member

From what me and Dave can work out.... Looks like someone took it out the case and didn't relise how heavy it was and dropped it!! Not impressed! lol
  10. bassinthebathroom

bassinthebathroom Active Member

Locally, Lyn Cooke is the man to see. I don't have his number but if you contact Ian Davies on 07968 892165 he will be able to put you in touch with Lyn.
  11. matt_BBb_bass

matt_BBb_bass Member

Cheers Iain! Last i herd he has got to the silly ilse to live?! Il give Ian a call tomorrow! Thanks :D
  12. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

No....I wouldn't be either!

One reason that I am the only person that touches / plays my instruments.

You do realise though:

If you'd taken it home to practice, it would never have happened............
    food for thought, I think you'll agree! :tongue:
  13. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Just to reiterate (not quite sure why I'm bothering, but hey ho), damage that looks like this can easily result from a shock to the bell end of the case while the instrument is inside. Maybe somebody moved the case, and dumped it down on the end too hard? Seems the most likely explanation to me... Your explanation requires some nasty behaviour, which tends to be rare...
  14. tubbytuba

tubbytuba Member

Taking a look at Matts Bb bass it looks like he stated,i would say it was an accident. As for Lyn Cook,hes deffo moved away,France i believe !!!
  15. matt_BBb_bass

matt_BBb_bass Member

I can see what you mean.. It was in the back of the band van all last weekend... think is if it happen then i can't remeber seeing it on Monday night =/ It may well of happened then! I can see how it could happen very easly!