Instrument renovation

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Eb Ben, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Eb Ben

Eb Ben New Member

Hi people,

I am thinking about renovating my tuba. Does anyone have any idea how much this could cost or where I could take it to have the work done. For general info:

It's a Yamaha Maestro EEb tuba, silver laquer. Approx 10 years old with the usual minor dents/scratches etc. The laquer is wearing off in some places, especially where my hand rests for the 4th valve.

I would hope to overhaul the instrument to remove dents, repair laquer damage, and generally bring the instrument back to "as new" condition.

I appreciate it is very difficult to give cost estimates without actually seeing the instrument, but any estimates would be very helpful.

Location is also quite important - I'm in North Yorkshire and I wouldn't want to travel (e.g.) to Cornwall or Aberdeen for the work to be done - the closer to North Yorkshire the better!

Thanks for any advice.

Ben

2. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Surely it's silver plate? And I know it's around £400, just to get a cornet done.

3. Eb Ben

Eb Ben New Member

Not sure what the "coating" is - could be plate. All I know is it is silver coloured!

4. carlwoodman

carlwoodman Member

I have no hesitation in recommending Mark Carter, a.k.a. Mr Tuba.
    What he doesn't know about tubas isn't really worth knowing!
    He is based in Cwmbran, South Wales but don't let that put you off because he does travel from time to time and tubas can be sent via UPS, DHL etc.

I have seen his repair work at first hand and I have also seen a couple of Eb tubas which he built from scratch!

5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

6. Split Splat

Split Splat Member

I would try Owen Wedgewood who lives Nr Leeds/Huddersfield and his work is simply superb!
    07801 562156 :tup

7. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

You need to have an accident with it whilst on band duty, then claim on your band's policy ;)

8. pbirch

pbirch Member

Only if you feel that the rest of us should pay for your renovation for you ( in terms of increasing premiums). Let's not suggest such a fraudulent course of action, even in jest.

9. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

That's assuming that the "rest of us" are all careless with our own insturments, and insure them at the exorbitant prices that the insurance companies price up at, to ensure that when any one claims there is no actual loss to the aforementioned companies ;)

10. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

I tried to insure my tuba which sits in my house most of the time and is at less inclined to damage than a car on the road, BUT it would cost significantly more than my car cost to insure to insure my tuba. so it stays uninsured and any repairs are at my expense.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Maestro EEb
    Yamaha
    Ben
    silver laquer
    laquer damage
  12. DRW

DRW New Member

Hear hear. :clap:

13. Missy_Gracie

Missy_Gracie Member

I did suggest throwing it down the stairs, claiming on the instrument insurance and buying him a cheap tuba and me a shiny shiny neo tenor horn, but sadly he didn't see the potential in the suggestion- and we don't have any stairs.

14. pbirch

pbirch Member

Did you not realise that that is how insurance works? Every case of a contrived accident costs us all, just as the many false claims of "whiplash" that are paid out for adds to motor insuance.
    Accidents do happen, and insurance is there for when they do, but not for routine maintenance or for putting right years of neglect, whether yours or someone else's.
    My insurance premium is about £80 a year for a £6K tuba, which, I think, is hardly exorbitant, but I would not wish to see it go up a few £s because someone "fell down the stairs" with theirs.

15. Lofty Snr

Lofty Snr Member

McQueens have done lots of work for me including complete re-builds on six tubas. Absolutely no complaints.

16. Lofty Snr

Lofty Snr Member

McQueens have done lots of work for me including complete re-builds on six tubas. Absolutely no complaints.

17. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

Just to say that yet again McQueens have done a bang up Job on my wifes baritone. Badly creased Bell repaired very reasonably and done overnight in one day; ready for Band practice. Thanks guys.

18. iffytboner

iffytboner Member

You could try http://www.iwestyorkshire.co.uk/profile/304071/Leeds/All-Brass-and-Woodwind/ they don't have their own website and don't advertise either but lots of music shops in Yorkshire send instruments there for repairs they can't do themselves. Don't be put off by the look of the shop - they are very good at what they do and everyone I have recomended them to has been happy and surprised at how cheap they are if you go direct. I have no idea of price but it's worth giving them a ring

Just realised this is an old thread but someone may find this useful

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  19. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

I can recommend these guys, they've done some great work for me in the past. One of the owners, Graham Benson, used to be 1st Horn in the famous 1970s Imps top prizewinning band and was apprentice trained at the old R.S. Kitchen firm in Leeds, knows his stuff.

~ Mr Wilx

20. Dabbers

Dabbers New Member

Take it to Mr. Tuba if you want, but you'll probably get charged a million pounds just for the plating. Try Dennis Wedgewood in Cardiff, he's a class act and knows his stuff. Don't take your instrument to him in a gig bag though!