Instrument Quality

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by spookybiking, Dec 1, 2002.

Instrument Quality

1. Yamaha

2. Besson

3. Antoine Courtois

1. spookybiking

spookybiking Member

Antoine Courtois or Besson or Yamaha
  2. Despot

Despot Member

Ooold topic!

Besson build quality in the past few years has been pants. Take a lot to make me buy Besson again!
  3. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Personal preference...
  4. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

I wouldn't like to say ... I know professionals and virtuosi on all three. Personally me for me I like Besson, not too keen on Courtois. Yamahas are nice though ...
  5. lottie4744

lottie4744 Member

I've played on all three (cornet) and it's easy to decide which one's best, Has to be a Yamaha! They're a great instrument, they look good, and I've never had problems with it, unlike a Sovereign.
  6. my old round stamp besson is the best i've played besson for me!

but if you're talking about current new instruments...i have not got a clue as i can't afford a new one! :p
  7. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

8. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Are you polling for best or worst quality?! :lol:

Seems to vary hugely from instrument to instrument, so difficult to say one manufacturer is better or worse overall. That said, have known SOOOO many people have problems with Bessons, especially all the batches of "lottery" instruments.
  9. stephen_clapton

stephen_clapton New Member

awwwww, no option for Getzen :(
  10. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

and depends what instrument you have in mind...
    What's good for an EEb Bass may not be for a flugel or sop...

Having said that, am happy with my new Besson - although slightly worrying plating problems appearing on the leadpipe.
  11. Andy Moore

Andy Moore Member

yamaha's the best horn i've played, but i've not played a courtois.
  12. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

if it's build quality its got to be yamaha really
  13. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

they all make crap trombones.

Edwards for me please.
  14. Bones

Bones Member

Rath. Absolutely spotless.
  15. Dawnys_flug

Dawnys_flug Member

Hmm when i played cornet, nothing i tried beat my round-stamped sovereign- it was soooo smooth! :D

As for flugel, i'll have to go with Courtois. Tried the Yamaha and it wasn't my cup of tea but it's finish was very smart indeed. As Naomi said- it's personal preference.
    The plating is very poor on my Courtois though. It was very nice clean etc. when it was new but now it's unbelievably worn- down to the brass!!! I might post some pictures because i don't think you would believe how bad it is! The actual instrument is supurb though apart from the finish of the silverplate. It's the nicest flugel i've played. I had a Bach Strad before and that is excellent quality also- the silverplate is perhaps better than the although it does go quite dull. The Courtois silverplate is very nice and bright- if only there were a bit more of it!! :roll: But overall the best instrument is Courtois.
  16. skweeky

skweeky Member

yamaha out of them three for me... im not sure if Courtois even make a sop?? I play a shilke at the moment and it is far easier to play than the yamaha and sounds so much more full and sweet. But thats not an option :lol:
  17. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Have always played on BESSON INSTRUMENTS:-D
  18. HBB

HBB Active Member

Courtois! Very well made!
  19. tootnbuzz

tootnbuzz Member

I've played on Yamaha and Besson and I still prefer my Kanstul Cornet. Too many cracked high A's with the Yamaha. My Kanstul Flugel is also a great player.
  20. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I agree with Kepps...

For example, I would never play a yamaha tenor horn or EEb bass, but I do enjoy their baritones and euphoniums.

The Besson EEb bass seems to suit me fine. For tenor horn I could go with a besson or courtois.