Instrument lacquer protection

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by hicks, Jan 17, 2008.

1. hicks

hicks Member

Does anyone know where I can get hold of leather covers to fit around the parts of a trombone in contact with the player (to protect the lacquer finish). Not sure what you call them, but I saw a player with one on the slide brace. My web searches haven't turned up anything so far.

2. AlanGiff

AlanGiff New Member

Try in the US. will tell you which ones you will need for your 'bone
  3. BrianT

BrianT Member

A leather cover won't protect the lacquer unless you frequently remove it and clean off all the grot that's accumulated underneath. The leather also acts like a sponge and soaks up the sweat and grease from your hands, which then stays in contact with the lacquer 24/7. Unless you clean underneath regularly (and probably replace the cover regularly too) you'll leave a environment perfect for verdigris and corrosion to build up, and the lacquer will end up being damaged anyway. I play without a leather valve cover now, which helps me ensure everything is clean before I close the case up when I've finished playing.
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  4. hicks

hicks Member

That makes sense. I had some doubts about the effectiveness of the cover, and whether you still get lacquer wear anyway.
    I am very good about cleaning the slide after every playing session, but still notice some slight abrasion on the upper slide (where the left hand grips it).