Instrument Insurance

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by HANNAH, May 21, 2005.

HANNAH Member

With all the reports of stolen instruments lately I want to ensure my instruments are insured. I'm wondering what companies and policies other members have out on their instruments.

Are they covered on their home insurance? (I know some say they're covered up to £1000 anywhere but the boot of a car...not much help really!)

What policies include EU and World travel cover?

How much are people paying for this?

Thanks to all in advance!
  2. tinytimp

tinytimp Member

We use BBIS (Brass Band Insurance Services) for my sister's and my instruments - there's about £5k worth of instruments and I'm sure the premium is under £100, though I can't remember exactly. Not sure about world cover as I haven't needed that yet. Better check though, come to think of it, got an orchestra tour in July...

Allianz Cornhill are meant to be quite good too, they're one of the most well-known.

3. Magic Flute

Magic Flute Supporting Member

My instruments are insured with Allianz Cornhill - which includes World-wide cover. It's also OK for in the boot of a car - I think it's mentioned as a specific option on their certificates. Luckily I've never needed to make a claim (touch wood!) but they are certainly recommended by a lot of instrument shops, and recognise the type of cover musicians may need on tour etc.
    I think it works out around £50-£60 for about £2K-£3K cover (can't remember exactly though).
  4. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

I use Allianz Cornhill (formerly British Reserve) and they've been excellent. I've had to claim twice, once for a new Bass Trom (new one arrived within a week) and once to have my Tuba overhauled after it was stolen from the back seat of my car in Glasgow, and thrown down a back alley!

They've been wonderful on both occasions. They trust the opinions of Music shops and repairers and just let you get on with it. Can't recommend them highly enough.
  5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

6. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

My trombone's covered by the house insurance... don't know how much it adds but it's covered wherever it goes...
  7. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

I'm with Allianz Cornhill too - excellent premiums and service!

Rach x
  8. alanl58

alanl58 Member

I am with Pavillion Musicguard:

On-line quotes, mine costs about £45 a year