Instrument collectors corner. What u got then?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by JessopSmythe, May 15, 2003.

1. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

Not got all that many but it is a fairly good collection

One Holton Bass Trom (the first instrument I ever bought)
    an obscure valved trombone (shortened specially for cavalry use)
    boosey small bore high pitch (b natural) tenor trombone
    besson G bass trom
    and my lovely shiny new Holton TR101

hoping to get an alto soon but I can't complete the set til I find the very rare contrabass trombone BB flat.

2. bagpuss

bagpuss Active Member

Shouldn't that be your lovely shiny new Holton MISTAKE??

Just to let others know, he ordered this trombone from America thinking it was Bb/F, unfortunately for him, he hadn't specified that he wanted Bb/F and so when it came it was just a Bb tenor. OOOOPSSS!!!! :oops: :lol: :D

Here puss puss puss

3. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Ooooh.... wait til 'Highams' gets a read of this thread.... he'll be in his element here... :)

4. JessopSmythe

Yep, I was gutted when I picked the holton up. I wouldn't even take it out of the plastic for 2 months. Finally did and realised what a great instrument it is to play. Best mistake i've ever made

5. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

Instruments.

Courtois 106 XXL Bb Cornet
    Courtois 107 Eb Cornet

Bach Stradivarious 43 LR180 ML Bb Trumpet
    Bach Stradivarious 37 180 ML Bb Trumpet

Selmer Bb/A Piccolo Trumpet

6. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

erm, Bb/F is tenor trom! You mean Bb/F/G/A! for bass trom!

7. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Shilke Eb Soprano Cornet
    B&H Soveriegn Soprano Cornet (the early model with the tuning slide on the bell pipe)
    Elkhart Bb Cornet (got for my son to play but he prefers Euph & Tuba)
    and last night I was given a Lafleur (I think thats how its spelled) tenor trombone, don't know what I'm going to do with it yet. I might hang on to it for the kids.

8. Highams

Highams Member

Now we are really talking !, thanks for the note Roger (edit-sorry, John). I'm still waiting for an article on my collection to appear in Brass Band World, should have been in the March edition. If you subscribe to the International Military Music Society (IMMS), it will be in the next edition of their magazine.

See & hear mine at;
    www.euph9.freeserve.co.uk/neweuph.htm

Also, take a look at this guys front room;
    http://www.silverhorns.com/

9. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Well, I've got the use of Kidlington band's Holton TR181 Bass Trom and a Sovereign Euphonium. I also own (in pitch order):

P. DeLacy Bb Cornet - pretty but leaky.
    B&S Eb Alto Trom - blows gorgeously.
    Bach 50B2L Bb/F/D Bass Trom - well and truly knackered.
    B&H G Bass Trom - not a great specimen.
    Miraphone BBb/FF Contrabass Trom - rather hard work.

Not to mention an upright Piano, by the iconic Povey and Wade of Newbury. And a recorder and a tin whistle.

Oddly, I've never got around to buying a Tenor Trom - I tend to borrow one when it's needed.

JessopSmythe was asking about finding Contras; eBay is a good place to start - I posted the link to the sale where I bought mine recently in the 'Bass Trombone' thread. The seller there is a good contact in the Contrabass Trombone world He's called Ed Solomon, and is the British Trombone Society webmaster; their site is at http://www.trombone-society.org.uk/content.htm, and has an article on the Contra and some info on Mr Solomon together with pictures of his excellent collection of Trombones amongst various other assorted goodies.

There's also a general contrabass (i.e. not just Trombones) mailing list that you can join at [/url]www.contrabass.com on which someone will post details of any such instruments for sale that they spot. Dave

10. carlwoodman

carlwoodman Member

hoping to get an alto soon but I can't complete the set til I find the very rare contrabass trombone BB flat.[/quote]

There was a Mirafone Bb & F contrabass on eBay recently. There was a great picture of the trombone section from the soundtrack of Planet of the Apes posted too. There were at least 3 of these monsters. I played one in Phil Parkers once. It was just awesome playing a trombone pitched the same as a BBb bass!

My own tuba is a 981 straight leadpipe Sovereign EEb (see left).
    I also have use of the ISB 981 Sovereign EEb, a more recent model than my own, and an Imperial BBb with the Chatham Citadel Band.
    I also have a Russian tenor trombone which I bought when I was in Moscow in 1992 for the equivalent of £5.
    My wife has a piano and I even play it myself sometimes when she is out.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    One Holton Bass Trom
    make
    trombone
    best
    many
  12. JessopSmythe

Not stricly true, although not many people make them any more, you can get such a thing as a Bb/F bass trom. My ancient holton is one in fact.

13. MoominDave

I think it depends how it is used - if a wide bore Bb/F instrument is used to play Bass Trom parts, then it's a Bass Trom; if it's used to play Tenor parts then it's a Tenor Trom!

Dave

p.s. Carl, the instrument you referred to on eBay is the one I bought!
    There's one that I know of over JessopSmythe's way at Midland Instrument Repair in Halesowen. It's an Edwardian Salvation Army instrument with a tiny bore and blows like a hosepipe.

14. Bones

Bones Member

Hi,

Currently playing on a Conn 89H convertible Bb/F trom, as I very rarely use the trigger anyway.
    I also have a 30+ year old Conn 88H which is great, but too precious to play.

For Show work and big band stuff, I've got a Rath R1 and a Conn 6H with a coprion bell.

I also got an Amati Intermediate level Alto which I bought but have never used, so that's being sold. I''m currently haveing a nose around to see if I can find a decent cheap second hand Bass trom. Just for fun more than anything.

Cheers

Rich

15. JessopSmythe

There is a difference with older instruments. The old holton i've got is definitely bass, I know that coz I had to buy a new set of mutes when I discovered that tenor mutes didn't even touch the sides.

Have you got any more info on that instrument at MIR? I just rang them and they know nothing about it. In fact the guy I spoke to had never heard of such an instrument. I'm sure he thought I was winding him up

16. MoominDave

They've got a collection of odd instruments in a display off to one side in their 'for sale' section, if I recall correctly. When I popped in (~3 years ago) the man there (no idea about names, sorry) said that it hadn't been blown for 30 years. He also said that they weren't interested in selling it, so I presume that it's still there. Sounds like you got hold of somebody who doesn't know the ins and outs of the place.

Dave

17. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

Ooo Colllectors corner. I have only just started my collection but it will hopfully expand one day.

I have mostly back at my mothers as I dont have space in my house arent mums great for somethings.

Holton TR181 Bb\F\D rotting away in the loft.
    Edwards Bb\F\Db\A Currently in use shes a beast. Many thanks to Rich Walker for parting with her.
    B&H G Bass Trombone. Converted to Standard Lamp ( Dads Handy Work)
    Miraphone Contra Bass Trom. Still cant play it properly. But then thats most of them

I did have a Soprano Trom but that seemed to go walkies when i left it in one of my previous bands rehearsal room. Theiving corent players I blame.

Im on the look out now for a Bass Trumpet. Ebay here I come