Instant Concert

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Maestro, Aug 19, 2006.

1. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

Sorry to have to ask this, but can anyone tell me just how many tunes are actually used in 'Instant Concert'?

regards

Embarassed Kev :oops: :oops:

2. 1st Position

1st Position Member

Not exactly, but from my days playing in an army band, I think the popular view was 32/33 ish.

Equally embarrassed for remembering such a fact!

3. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

You are not far out with that number
    i did a recording of this back in 1979 on the first recoring ever by Walsall Metropolitan Band (Now Staffordshire Band)
    Playing 2nd Euph at the time ;conducted by Peter Bright

4. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

No need to be embarassed! I played Hootenany today!! I believe my mum has Instant Corncert in her pack at the moment - but I don't think I could manage to count the tunes from the percussion parts...!

If I go to a St Agnes rehearsal anytime soon and we play it, I'll try counting for you!

5. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

If anyone will admit to having the score, it's written in that IIRC.

Don't think I ever played the euph part - always played the tunes (same in Hootenanny). It always messed up any choreography when my euph / bari section just stood up in random places :D

6. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Waltham Forest Band used to give away a prize if a guess of 38 was made.

7. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Too many?

8. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

As I recall, the score says that there are 30. However, I think that is just the number that is actually listed on the score - I think there are extra fragments that are not credited.

9. Matt Lawson

Matt Lawson Member

Swinton and District Excelsior Band used to offer an "Italian Meal for Two by Candelight" as the prize and then proceed to give the winner a tin of spaghetti and a tealight candle.

:D

10. Hahaahahahhahahaha

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    1st Position
    Instant Concert
    Position
    roll
  12. Ten out of ten for bottle playing Instant concert. Do your players require trauma treatment after a performance? I have heard Torbay Concert Brass perform this on the sea front in Torquay and I am told there are 31 tunes but 32 if you count the grunt! If you enjoy playing it get on with it!

13. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

Personally I can't stand the piece, and if I were taking a band, I would not force them or even ask them to play it.

The reason I am asking this question is, as a quiz type thing for school, that's all....honest!

Many thanks for all the replies so far.

Kev

14. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Of course it is mate. I guess there are more tunes in it than Ipswich will get points this season! :biggrin:

15. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

I do so hope that is the case mate

16. NeilW

NeilW Member

I thought there were 33...

Sometimes you can "phase" a euph player by putting the bass clef side to play when they're not expecting it - I've done it to a couple of people over the years :p :biggrin:

Neil

17. chiephonium

chiephonium Member

:clap: just took a look at the score (which conveniently happaned to be lying around)!!!

officially 30...plus a grunt

18. Shaggy

Shaggy New Member

The funniest thing about "Instant Concert" is playing it with a band who dont realise its supposed to be a joke.....but then again, why does that suprise me?

19. 1st Position

1st Position Member

Got to say, you're one or two out, but you can't count anyway so that probably means 32 or 33. :) :)

20. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Aye - but it phases the conductor and the trickster more when the euph player plays it as if it was written in treble clef ;)

(not that I've done that of course :p )

21. chiephonium

chiephonium Member

hi tony, how are things - good i hope.

i was just counting the names in the score... got to 30 then figured "the grunt too"!

see you soon mate.

andy

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    1st Position
    Instant Concert
    Position
    roll