Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Charmed, May 8, 2006.

1. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

At 4am this morning (I'd fell asleep on the sofa again!) I was watching a documentary on Discovery about 'The Woman With Half a Body'. The lady in question had to have both of her legs removed right to the very top and 2 inches taken off her spine, at the age of two, due to a medical condition. She has grown up to be an inspiration to all. She doesn't consider herself disabled and is very active. She does the same things as 'able bodied' people. She has married and, unexpectedly, found herself pregnant a few years ago. She was advised to terminate by all but one doctor, who supported her throughout, although the risk to her life was high due to her reduced body size (the baby could have crushed her lungs). Her son is now about 5/6yrs. On top of that, her mother recently died of cancer, and she, her husband and son, moved into her mother's home to look after her father who has alzeimers, and her 29yr brother, who has the mental age of an 8yr old and suffers from schizophrenia.

All the way through the documentary she was bubbly and obviously full of life. Only once did I see her get upset, and that was after the death of her mother. Her one concern was that she may end up in a wheelchair. She has used her upper body to get around, sometimes with the use of a skateboard, her whole life, but because of the pressure, her bones are now weakening. She adapted a skateboard so she could take her son ice skating. She builds cars and races them on the track! At the end of the documentary it announced that since the filming she has discovered she is pregnant again. Unfortunately I can't remember her name but wow!

I found her a truly inspirational woman and it certainly put into perspective all my little moans and groans!
  2. gawber

gawber Active Member

Yes, truly inspirational.

Her name is Rosemarie (Rose) Siggins.
  3. IckleSop

IckleSop Active Member

thats amazing it just goes to show that you should make the most of life :)
  4. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

I've seen that documentary before, and all the way through it I was wondering if it was going to turn out to be some kind of bad taste joke or something because surely no-one could actually be faced with a life like that and still come through smiling.
    It turned out it was all true, and what an amazing woman she is. If there was ever an example of how to just get on with life and stop bleating about every pointless little annoyance, she is it. What an amazing person she is.

It was the car racing that got me!! Like she didn't have enough to contend with in her life, she then takes up an adrenalin filled, dangerous and potentially life threatening pass time!! It was about then that I started thinking "hang on a minute..this can't be for real...can it?"

5. gawber

gawber Active Member

Channel 5 Monday 26th February 9pm

Extraordinary People:Half Body, Whole Life

Channel 5 revisits Rose who has decided to take her ailing father on a once-in-a-lifetime road trip whilst struggling to cope with the birth of her second child.