Inspirational firework music required

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Hornted, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Hornted

Hornted Member

For the last few years I have arranged a concert with a fireworks finale and have featured all sorts of music to fireworks, from War of the Worlds, Barbarian Horde to William Tell. Do not like the tradition approach of Music for the Royal Fireworks or 1812. However do want something the audience will know, has impact and is about 8 to 10 minutes long or alternatively 2 pieces that fit together well

So suggestions would be good.

2. samandy

samandy Member

You could try The Dambusters or how about Pines of Rome.
  3. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

What is an inspirational firework anyway?
  4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

One where you breathe in the smoke and sparks, I should think :eek:
  5. Hornted

Hornted Member

ok bad use of words - just something that would be good to put fireworks to and before any one asks no not something to set fire to - have loads of that sort of music.

The Company is given a recording of whatever we decide on and then arranges the fireworks to fit - all pretty clever but not if you cannot come up with something good.

So ideas please
  6. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Thunder and Lightning Polka (Donner und Blitz?) is a cracker. (No Pun intended!)

Saw an orchestra do that at an outdoor classical concert a few years back with air-bombs, rockets and allsorts going off.

The had some massive air-bombs timed exactly to go off with the bass drum shock notes as well. Awesome!

It's only about three minutes long though....
  7. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

I used to be involved in the fireworks concert at the end of the Edinburgh Festival, and you'd be surprised what works. One of the most effective things was Zadok the Priest, with the long buildup at the beginning.

Pines of Rome would work really well, as would things like Sorcerer's Apprentice or Daphnis and Chloe (if you can play them). Or you could try something like Carl Davies' Galaxies, or a shorter lower section testpiece like
    Wilby's Partita.
  8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I've had a quick scan through some pieces on my hard drive and these sounded okayish ...

Grand March from 'Moses' (Rossini arr. Ray Woodfield)
    Espana (Chabrier arr. Gordon Langford)
    Prelude For An Occasion (Edward Gregson)
    Tombstone Arizona (Gareth Wood)
    Frelkugeln (Johann Strauss arr. Howard Snell)
    Fives & Threes (John Golland)
    Ballet Eygyptien (Luigini arr. Drake Rimmer)
    Ritual Fire Dance (Manuel de Falla arr. Allan Street)
    Concert Overture - Covenant (Bruce Broughton)
    Symphonic Overture - Pilgimage (Andrew Mackereth)
    Russian Folk Dances (Shostakovich arr. T. Hanson)
    Pineapple Poll Suite (Sullivan/Mackerras arr. Geoffrey Brand)
  9. PeterBale

I reckon "Blenheim Flourishes" is another one that could work well.
  10. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

We were booked recently to do a gig with a fireworks finale; the organisers specified Pomp & Circ. no. 1 to accompany the fireworks. Seemed to work well enough.
  11. Pastit

Pastit Member

The best one of these I've been to was at Caernarfon Castle many years ago. They used Agincourt Song from Walton's Henry V Suite and it was fantastic. Granted, they used the orchestral recording but I believe Black Dyke recorded a brass band arrangement. I don't know if it's freely available.
  12. MartinT

MartinT Member

I once attended one of the Wednesday evening concerts at Kneller Hall at which the finale was Bach's Toccata & Fugue in D Minor... to fireworks. Impressive or what? The Army is very good at making things go bang!

At one point the band was effectively invisible behind a pall of smoke...
  13. PeterBale

Usually I would agree, except that at the big concert we played in Berlin, after a long spiel by the MD that there would be 13 explosions during "1812", and if there were any more people should begin to panic, none of them went off - and they had been set up by the battalion's explosives expert :eek:
  14. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Olympic fanfare and theme?

Blitz :D
  15. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Alas, the word 'inspirational' was specified. Blitz is more likely to cause a mass suicide....

Blenheim flourishes is a good call, that'd definitely work.