Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by jafe, Nov 13, 2003.

1. jafe

jafe Member

Just wonddering who or what got people into music and banding?

My musical idols are; Buddy Rich, John Bonham, Evelyn Glennie
  2. timbloke

timbloke Member

i always liked glen miller when i was really young, which is why i play tromb. although when i started playing in band my idol was a chap called paul, who played solo tromb in the senior band, he's only a few years older than me, but was basically at a position that i thought to myself... "i want to be doing that".

Later on when i had progressed to the senior band, I played next to him on many occasions, and although he isn't a famous name player, i will always say he was my biggest inspiration when i started banding. :)

I sometimes wonder whether i am an inspiration to others, in the same way he was to me? I guess i probably am, which is quite a powerful thought!! :roll:
  3. weenie

weenie Member

My Hero, Roger Taylor of Queen, unique sound and style, nothing too flash, but let's his drumming do the talking. I can tell if it's him drumming without even knowing. Does anybody else appreciate Mr. Taylor's talents?

Edit: Duplicate post deleted. Dyl
  4. jafe

jafe Member

Roger Taylor living legend one of THE greatest drummers on this planet

Ringo Starr has nothing on Rog
  5. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

Think my mates got me into banding. Asked me to pop down to a rehearsal and i've been hooked ever since! :D

My idol is Roger webster. The man has everything. Flawless technique, amazing sound, an all round world class cornet player.

Philip McCann weren't too bad in his heyday :D
  6. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

When I first started playing - clarinet then saxophone - Jack Brymer was my inspiration. I wrote to him on two seperate occasions and each time received a very gracious, handwritten response. It was quite sad to read his obituary a few weeks ago, but he'd given so much pleasure to so many by his playing so I don't suppose he'd be complaining.
  7. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Flugel playing: Iwan Williams, great sound and technical ability.

Playing in general: Phillip Smith (New York Philharmonic trumpet), amazing fat sound and shapes everything as prettily as the finest cornet players do/did. Also, Wynton Marsalis for his all round super stardom! I saw his band live when they came to the UK last year and it was breathtaking.

Conducting: When I first started conducting, watching James Williams and playing under Steve Cobb. Both have a quiet authority but have a real ability of getting peoples heads up and drilling them on certain spots.
    Now, I get really inspired watching Dr David King, James Gourlay, Bram Tovey for the way they think past purely notes and technicalities.

All real examples in my view.

Rothwell Temps
  8. Steve

Steve Active Member

I got into playing cos I didnt like my English teacher so I had to find a legitimate way out of lessons, brass was on the same day and the only thing left in the cupboard was a euphonium! Worked out nicely I guess. Brass band inspiration has to be Dave Childs, how anyone can live up to a reputation the size of the Childs dynasty and succeed so un-questionably is nothing short of amazing. Others have to be Clarence Adoo and Evelyn Glennie for obvious reasons.
  9. leisa

leisa Active Member

definatly roger webster for cornet playing definatly!!!
    i first started on horn though and it was prob Sheona White for that
    and ive just started flugel and id say Martin Winters and John Doyle for that
  10. Di B

Di B Member

I have had a number of people influence my playing, including my past teachers but I can always remember my first two big influences.....

I'd been playing a year or two and was at my first ever Blackpool contest. Being far too young to drink :? I was sober enough to attend the soloist contest on the Sunday.

There was a guy who played solo euph with a local band up there playing Carnival of Venice. I thought it was fantastic and vowed that one day I wanted to play like that.

Over the years, I have played alongside him on a few occaisons and although *shock* he has migrated to baritone I guess the Blackpool memory is still there.

In 1998 I went on a banding 'holiday' with him and in a drunken state informed him that he had been my childhood playing idol which he thought was great and I thought (in the morning!) it was embarrasing! lol!

Oh, and I am happy to name names here.... Les Beresford when he was at Bestwood :)

There was also a lovely old man called Ernie who used to come down to Long Eaton when I was a kid and one day he handed over a worn copy of Jenny Jones and told me to practice..... still can't play it as I want to but he really captured a young teens imagination doing that. A big influence. Funnily enough, I am trying similar tactics with learners now :lol:
  11. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

i was asked by a friend of my dads, if i liked brass band music at the age of 11. when i replied yes he asked if i would like to play. i said yes. he then told my Dad that if i took up the cornet and kept it up fr six months he would give me his cornet.

I kept going, and true to his word he gave me his Olds Ambasador cornet.
    which in those days was one of the top cornets of its day.

I have a lot to thank Al moseto for. many years of enjoyment, and some great experiences.

I still have the cornet, tho it is a little the worse for wear. i Just cant bring myself to sell it, it would just break my heart.
  12. T-Horn

T-Horn Member

My Cousin got me playing. Thought i'd have a go on the tenor horn and stayed there ever since. 8)
  13. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

As far as brass playing goes, definitely Jim Shepherd and Geoff Whitham - both fantastic players and lovely people.

String wise, my inspirations are Yuri Bashment and Phil Dukes (viola), the lovely Maxim Vengerov and Itzhak Perlman on violin.

And I agree - Roger Taylor rules!

Rach x
  14. Moy

Moy Active Member

Well I hope none of my pupils read this.
    Honestly the reason I took up playing a brass instrument was ....... one dayI was sitting bored out of my skull, doing French at school. A note came round asking for pupils interested in being tested for brass to go to the music department immediately.
    Well what a skive...anything to get out of French.
    Thats was nearly 40 years ago and yes I failed French :lol:
    BUT my Italian is very good.......ben marcato, cantabile etc :wink:
  15. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

I started playing because my Dad and older sisters were in a wind band and I was feeling left out! I had my heart set on baritone sax (not sure why really) but was given a tenor horn as I was so small it was the easiest thing to hold. I joined the brass band run by the same conductor and within a year the rest of the family had abandoned their flutes and clarinets and joined me!
    My idol as a kid was Gordon Higginbottom - imho he did more for the tenor horn reputation and repertoire than anyone else before or since. At the moment my inspirations are Sandy Smith and David Daws (usually referred to in our household as "god"!!!!)
  16. jimothy

jimothy Member

My Dad, my two elder brothers, and a guy called Jim Shepherd who played for a band called the Black Dyke Mills Band who gave a concert every year in the pier pavilion at Cleethorpes.
  17. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

When I was younger (say about 14-16) it was Roy Castle (see my entry in memorable moments) and my teacher Peter Condon who was a terrific trumpet player (still is I think) and a great teacher. Later on when I really got into brass banding in a more serious nature it was Kevin Crockford and Alan Wycherley.
  18. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

My mother got me into music, although she claimed as a kid I was always singing and stuff, so it was obvious I'd be a musician of some sort.

I wanted to play violin, but I got kickedout after 2 lessons, and told to wait 3 years, and learn a brass instrument.......

And now I'm here. Imagine how much better the world wwould've been had that poor woman kept me on that squeaky thing???
  19. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

I started playing Euph because I was rubbish at trumpet.
    I advanced much quicker on Euph as I enjoyed it more, and was soon recommended to hunt around for brass bands. So after a brief spell at Carlton Brass, and then Rolls Royce, I received an "invite" to join Long Eaton. Been one of the best decisions i've made :oops:

Idols so far have been Steven Mead (all my Euph playing life- 3 years), and all the other top Euphers: David Thornton, Tormod Flaten, the Childs Family, Trevor Groom etc.

All this has provided me with the inspiration to continue music as a career, and i'm working my socks off to get there.
  20. i think jim gourlay is my idol. some people say he's a bit of a nutcase, but i cant find fault with him. i guess its probably because they dont get along with him or dont like him for some reason but i've had a fair few lessons with him and he's been great. top guy and player