Inspiration for Major works

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Thirteen Ball, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

We were having one of our post-concert discussions outside the pub on Saturday evening, starting by discussing how we'd seen on 4BR what the commissioning parties' ideas behind "Within Blue Empires" were and how PLC had represented those ideas and a few of us got chatting about how some of our finest choose the inspiration for their music - specifically test pieces.

For example, works inspired by places or locations (Aoteoroa (sp?) Prague, music of the spheres) - Works inspired by great historical characters (James Cook, Harrison's dream) - Works about particular events in history (Crusade, Hostile Skies) and perhaps most notably, works inspired by other types of music.

Those inspired by other music take their influences from a very broad range of sources - an individual musical phrase or interval, to whole genres and styles, or the whole works of a composer.

So if you were writing or comissioning a test piece, what would you choose as your subject matter?
  2. Steve

Steve Active Member

1.) A stag do, with a backing cd of police sirens and percussive sounds like cell doors slamming.

2.) Pregnancy: 9 months of hormonal hell

3.) The adventures of cat and dog
  3. VenusTromster

VenusTromster Member

Andi, you make the band sound like geeks (but then I think it was me that started the conversation!!).

I'm sure my inspiration would be John Cage and his prepared piano pieces or 4'33!!