INSOMNIA - I can't get no sleep......

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by LeDragon, Aug 19, 2004.

1. LeDragon

LeDragon Active Member

For the past couple of months I have repeatedly been unable to get to sleep at night, or if i do manage to get to sleep, I wake up in the middle of the night. When i say wake up in the middle of the night, I mean full on, mind racing awake, being unable to get back to sleep again.

I am wondering if any of you could help me by giving any tips that you might have to help cure this as it is really starting to get me down and I am getting snappy in work etc. I don't want to start taking sleeping tablets regurlarly so am after other options if you have any!

Your help would be much appreciated - cheers.

2. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

let me know when next you're awake.. I'll give you some of my work to do... that should do the trick... and if not, then I'll be that much further along...

Seriously, my own thoughts on this is that it's a symptom of imbalance, whether it's too much work, too much leisure, too little food, too much of the wrong food etc... Could be any number of things, but the mind works best when things are in balance, leading to lower stress levels generally. The mind is a funny thing, often the more you believe you have a problem, the more you actually start to have a problem...
    I'm not suggesting mass denial and suspension of realism, but my motto is "Always try the simple things first" (Kepps' lazy principle of least effort)

It ranks right up there with other Keppsisms such as "There are two parts to life - mundane routine and horrifying change"

Mystic Kepps

3. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Don't go to bed on a full stomach.

Chill for a while before you go to bed, especially if you've just driven home.

If you're not sharing a bed, try some soothing hypnotic music (Tubular Bells is good, as is Defining Blue by Anthony Patterson)

Try to regularise your routine, and do the same things in the hour before you retire.

Get up and do something rather than be in bed worrying about not sleeping.

Good luck. Have had trouble with this myself over the years. (Not to say jet lag.)

4. Well Worth It

Well Worth It Active Member

Giz mate, you should've said.
    I've just solved a similar problem.
    I was finding it near impossible to drop off then I'd be awake at 3 and 5.
    If you're still living where I think you are, then the problem will be sirens.

I saw a docu about sleep last year. They let their subjects drop off naturally and then played them different sounds into their room. Explosions, gunfire, ruddy big dogs etc.
    The only sound that woke every subject up.....guaranteed....was the sirens.

Try falling asleep with gentle music on (I reckon you have some somewhere!!), and block out as much external noise as possible.
    You could always try that amazing soporiphic activity too.

5. rutty

rutty Active Member

This works for me ;)

6. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Don't drink 5 double vodka and red bulls in 35 mins Gaz!! You were an animal on Saturday night, and the pavement outside Scu Bar can agree with me there!! :wink:

7. Well Worth It

Well Worth It Active Member

Some things will never change, Laura!

8. jambo

jambo Member

Yeah, bet you slept like a baby then Giz.

Go to bed an hour later than normal, a few nips of something stronger than horlicks and tell her to leave you alone!

You'll collapse soon of exhaustion mate, sleep then ha ha.

9. LeDragon

LeDragon Active Member

Thanks everyone!

I am single so I can't blame the sleeplessness on endless nagging...

10. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Oh I know that!! :D

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    any
    sleep
    mind
    sleeping tablets
    INSOMNIA
  12. LeDragon

LeDragon Active Member

It ain't that rough here Alex! There ain't that many sirens!!!

Thanks for the tips though mate.

13. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Lettuce sandwiches.
    BMB
    xx

14. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

Try eating celery before you go to bed, it contains small amounts of stuff that make you drowsy.

Don't read in bed becaue it may make you alert.

If you can't sleep get up and watch TV for a few minutes and then try again.

Don't have your alarm clock next to your bed. When you can't sleep and you see that the time is getting later and later it makes you feel frustrated and the stress this induces keeps you awake due to releases of adrenalin.

If all the above fails try half a bottle of vodka!! :D

15. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

Funny!? I'm sure trained medical professionals recommend reading before bed because it helps wind you down! It certainly gets me drowsy!

TV is the one thing they don't recommend, that makes you too alert I believe.

16. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Probably better to use a text book or manual, rather than a novel or whatever that you might get into!

A warm (not hot) drink can also help. (Horlicks, Ovaltine. Welcome to the over 40's club :) )

17. akwarose

akwarose Active Member

i'm not havin trouble sleeping, i can drop off to sleep no problem. i do have trouble with sleepwalkin though. i sleepwalk nearly ever night, or i talk. my brother came in to check i was ok the other night coz i was screamin at someone to leave me alone.
    its getting me really worred and makin me quite tired. any tips, or shall i just book myself in for therapy now? :p :cry: :shock:

18. groovy

groovy Active Member

My wee bro used to sleepwalk and snore so badly he could hardly breathe. When he was wee he had asthma and I think that had something to do with it, he got this nose cleary stuff and he doesn't sleep walk anymore. He still snores tho.