Ingerlund-free thread!

Discussion in 'General Sports Chat' started by dyl, May 30, 2006.

1. dyl

dyl Active Member

I think we 'supporters of other countries' need a thread of our own to discuss the World Cup, without it turning into a metatarsal discussion or a Walcott, Lampard, Rooney (etc) love-fest!

So who are you supporting during the WC, and why?

I'm going for Spain, because they have Xabi Alonso, Luis Garcia and Pepe Reina, and Rafa's a spaniard, followed by Brazil, just because they're Brazil!!!

Viva Espana!

2. Just wanna wish paraguay, sweden, and trinidad and tobago the very best of luck!

3. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Brasil to pick up no6 , since I got hold of a copy of the 1970 world cup final, the best team performance in a final so far..good but boring in 1994 ( same coach as 2006) , brilliant and unlucky in 1998 awesome in 2002 don't know if the luck will hold but I hope so , good swansong for Roberto Carlos ( think he is about 60 now)and Cafu( about 200 years old and still doing it in Italy)Emerson ( Juventus)....still with players like Juan ( Bayern Munich) , Lucio ( Bayern Munich) and a few other squad members with german league experience along with Roberto Carlos and Cafu , looks like a pretty water tight defence , but when you can boast an attacking quartet of Kaka ( ac milan) , adriano ( Inter Milan) , Ronaldinio ( Barca) , and the big fella Ronaldo ( Real) you can say you are going to score a few , shame that there are not many in the starting lineup who play in brasil...I think first time you have a Europe based 1st 11 , could be wrong tho...
    I have a dodgy feeling that Germany ( who were slated in the last world cup but still ended up runner up) to sneak there again ( didn't they hammer a team 7-0 the other day)..

Last edited: May 30, 2006
  4. and just out of interest, with greece winning the euro's, could another not so big name win the world cup?

forget france, italy, spain, holland, germany, brazil and argentina (and us coz we can't mention them in this foreign thread lol)

the above teams i would put as favourites to reach the quarter finals

but perhaps consider the pace and skill of japan and south korea

maybe the physical style from ivory coast and ghana

how about the team spirit of USA and australia

or the flair of mexico and paraguay

and how could we count out the many smaller euro nations aswell

i dont think this world cup is as clear cut as many think it might be

5. aye but i dont think the opposition had even qualified for the world cup, they werent much cop, werent it luxumberg or some1else of a similar small size? lol

6. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Still as Motty would say it's still 11 against 11...don't think there will be too many suprises , South Korea ( with the mighty wolves represented in the starting 11) will be marked out by the big guns , don't think they will make it out the group stage ( Dick Aadvokat ex rangers in charge)..Australia with Guus Hiddink might be worth a quater final place ( depends on the group) , and without Nigeria ,South Africa and Cameroon and the traditional African Heavyweights , you have new faces like Togo and the Ivory Coast still as what happended in Japan I think there will be no shocks this time.

7. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

Eh?

8. Andy Moore

Andy Moore Member

9. BA Baritone

BA Baritone Member

AS a Scot I have to say I support any team that are playing against England. A question that is going round my work is "How long will it take Motty to mention 66?"

But the team that I will start behind until they are knocked out is T&T as they have a few players based in Scotland. after that it will be the sexy football of Brazil. I would fancy Spain but they have a reputation of always underachieving, but maybe this time!

Ross

10. LeDragon

LeDragon Active Member

I'll be supporting Trinidad & Tobago! Wrexham's Dennis Lawrence plays for them, and also ex Wrexham (now Luton) Carlos Edwards.

11. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Eek!! I think I'm the only Jock in the world that will be supporting England!! (Until they get knocked out of course, then I pull on my yellow and green samba shirt!) :biggrin:

12. BA Baritone

BA Baritone Member

I wouldn't mind them wining as it will stop the talk of 66, but I just dont think they will, so it's another four years of living in the past.

Ross

13. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

That's an easy one - within the first five minutes of England's first game, like he does with every other World Cup and World Cup Qualifing game....:rolleyes:

Anyway, this is a non-England thread so I'd better shut up before I get modded. ;)

14. dyl

dyl Active Member

I'm gonna guess within the first five minutes of the opening match of the tournament! ;)

15. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I just hope the U.S. finishes in the same spot as Brazil in their respectives as it will mean 1) We got through the group phase and 2) we have a chance at the semis...otherwise it'll be a short trip

16. Bigenglandfan

Bigenglandfan Member

It's always made me chuckle that the same Scots friends (note NO reference to Jocks!) who moan about us talking 1966 and all that..... still make reference to a match that apparently took place in Bannockburn in 1314. How does that work then???

17. BA Baritone

BA Baritone Member

We normally get away with it because no one, even us, expects the Scots to win anything. When the most of the English supporters expect them to win and inevitably they never do. But that is just my opinion. We hare just a bunch of happy drunks who don't care if we win or not, lets just have a big party with whoever we beat or with whoever beats us.

18. nick said germany beat some1 7-0 or summin, well i think it was against lowly opposition like luxumberg

19. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

England! England! England! England! England! England! England! England! England! England! England! England! England! England! England! England! England! England! England! England! England! England! England! England! England! England! England! England! England! England! England! England! (well, I didn't mention Ing-Er-Lund, did I?) :rolleyes:

20. tinytimp

tinytimp Member

Mexico all the way!

They're my can't-escape-the-world-cup-so-choose-a-random-team team! I had to make an educated decision, looking on past form they've at least made it out of their group a few times so I'll be following them quite far I think.

After that, it's whoever plays England! :tongue: