info on euph pieces please?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by sevenhelz, May 18, 2005.

1. sevenhelz

sevenhelz Active Member

hi y'all, just to exploit you as a resource again, anyone know anything about Midnight Euphonium (Goff Richards) or Concert Gallop (Philip Wilby)? I'm playing them for my grade exam tomorrow and having heard rumours that Concert Gallop was written for some kind of charity event, I'd like to find out more.
    ;) yes i know i've left it a bit late...

anyway thanks in advance :)
    love and cuddles
    xx

2. Steve

Steve Active Member

I seem to remember concert gallop was written for Bob Childs and the euph / bari section of Black Dyke and can be played as a solo, duet or quartet. The charity was a bone marrow sufferer if my memory serves me right and it a cracking piece.

3. sevenhelz

sevenhelz Active Member

:) i wasn't asked what they were written for in the end, though i was asked about the composers and my mind went embarrassingly blank...
    it's a bit odd that concert gallop was written for band though, apparently the piano part is easier than they usually are when they've been re-arranged? or maybe it's just the composer was d*mn good :)
    anyway thanks for replying steve :) i'm sure everyone else was thinking of me................

xx

4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Sorry I couldn't get the info before you played, but here's a bit of background for when you do your next recital ;)

(from the sleeve notes to Doyen CD 053, Sacred Symphonies). The piece can be played by 1 - 4 players.

"Midnight Euphonium" was written for New Zealand euphonium start Riki McDonnell, and the composer suggests you imagine you are in a club shortly to close at two in the morning!

5. pete's right, when i played for Hebden Bridge, our euph player always did that as his solo, till he moved onto blaydon races anyway, lol, aye the NZ guy won the contest with that piece i think if my memory serves me right, good luck with that, its not a bad piece, fairly melodious anyway, geez did i just use that word?! :S , god i must be ill ! lol