Infection – Mouthpieces

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Hornted, Sep 6, 2005.

1. Hornted

Hornted Member

Have been asked by someone in the Music Department of a local school what the recommend practice should be with instrument hygiene, especially with regard to mouthpiece cleaning.

I know at home we have always boiled mouthpieces – not frequently, but occasionally when someone thinks about it. However this is not really practical within a school environment. Does anyone know of any solution you can buy that would do the job instead?
  2. floral_dance

floral_dance Member

what about a weak solution of dettol or something like that and rinse the mouthpieces in that. I am doing that after each time I play because I have cold sores at the moment and it doesn't seem to be doing the mouthpiece any harm.
  3. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

When I was playing I always found that one of these...

... mixed with plenty of this

... and some good 'ol elbow grease did the trick nicely...:):):biggrin::biggrin:
  4. Hornted

Hornted Member

Brush and Water

Ok good idea but unless you are going to buy a brush for each child in the school who is ever likely to try a wind instrument it would be like sharing a tooth brush - not my idea of fun.
  5. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Now that would be a challenge eh...:) but you're right, certainly not fun..:)
  6. Di

Di Active Member

But any child owning an instrument should really own the basics for care and maintenance shouldn't they?
  7. Hornted

Hornted Member

Mouthpiece - instrument cleaning

Yes certainly once they have been given an instrument - however the mouthpiece should be 'clean' when they are issued with an instrument. Also what happens when you have pupils trying out instruments etc.
  8. NeilW

NeilW Member

Yes, but do they - and do they actually do them even if they do ? :)

You did used to be able to buy an antibacterial/fungicidal instrument wash - can't for the life of me remember what it was called though.

For a mouthpiece, an active mouthwash like Corsodyl (diluted?) might be useful - antibacterial, but wouldn't do much against fungus and viruses I suspect. Plain washing powder (washed out very thoroughly with water afterwards) would also probably work pretty well against most things and wouldn't be harmful to the plating (see the other thread!)

9. madsaz

madsaz Member

when I teach on advanced life support course, there are a range of hard surface wipes and soltuions used to clean the training mannequins.

Like an idiot I can't find a supply link for these. We use them on medical equipment so they shouldn't do a mouthpiece any harm.

In order to feel secure that viruses and bacteria are removed you really need to use something alcohol based..... obviously not the smirnoff type. Thats why hospitals are full of alcohol gel - you can get liquid versions of this, such as Hydrex (chlorhexidine gluconate 0.5% in 70% ethanol) - you would have to rinse the mouthpiece after for fear of intoxication!!

In all honestly, Dettol would easily do the trick, but it depends on the risk assessment you use.
  10. sywity

sywity New Member

I got some fantastic stuff off my dr....its called Hyrisscrub (sorry sp?!) is fab cause i used to get loads of sore throats, and it helped get rid of germs etc ....get some next time ya go to your GP...:clap:

Simon Scholes
    Solo Horn
    Pilling Jubilee Silver Band
  11. madsaz

madsaz Member

I think thats chlorhexidine mouthwash- the basis of most disinfectants used in hospital.

I couldn't endorse using NHS prescriptions to obtain mouthpiece cleaning solutions!!
  12. NeilW

NeilW Member

That's what Corsodyl (2 mg/mL chlorhexidine gluconate with 5,4% m/v ethanol) is:

Buyable over the counter from Boots/Superdrug etc.

13. Di

Di Active Member

Why doesn't the school do a bulk buy of mouthpiece cleaners, valve case brushes, and general bits and bobs needed to take care of instruments. Bought in bulk they could get a discount, then sell at a profit (these things aren't expensive) to the kids? A case of accessibility and ready availability - if they haven't got to wait for Mum or Dad to find a music shop and the time to get to it, they're more likely to get whats needed and use it.

You turn up to school and you can buy scientific calculators from the maths dept and art materials and general stationery, why not a moutpiece brush?
  14. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

Use a mouthpiece brush to get rid of any visible muck, then dunk both brush and mouthpiece in Dettol solution to kill off any bugs.

Clean mouthpieces, and only one brush (of each size... :) )
  15. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

I have always in the past bolied mine in salt water for abot 20 mins and then cleaned it out with a mouthpiece brush
  16. flower girl

flower girl Member

this is probably gonna be completely useless because i cant remember the name. but... there is a solution u can buy from music shops that is specially for steralising instrument mouth pieces
  17. madsaz

madsaz Member

Sorry Neil - you had posted while I was typing so I had effectively completely ignored you!
  18. sevenhelz

sevenhelz Active Member

washing up liquid?
  19. tubadaz

tubadaz Member

Vincent Bach Mouthpiece Spray, Order number 1800B
    This should be available from your local, friendly music shop. :D

20. Just Crazy

Just Crazy Member

Boots please:)

Lets try and keep a fellow tmper in a job.:)