Independent Silver Band

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by nethers, Jun 29, 2010.

1. nethers

nethers Active Member

Sorry if this has been done a million times before and everyone but me knows:

During some down-time at work I clicked through the link in Independent Silver Band's signature. I always assumed he was a member of a 'regular' US brass band. So what a great surprise when I headed over:

http://independentsilverband.webs.com/ (turn your speakers on!)

What a great idea and really special type of music! Please go take a look for yourself if you haven't before, and be sure to stay on a page long enough for the vocals to kick in...

If I ever get over to the States I'd love to go see a performance, with authentic dress, instruments and performance style I'm sure it's a real treat.

Slight tangent... are there any UK brass bands that do a similar thing?

:clap:

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Silver Band
    Independent
    US
    US brass band
    UK brass bands
  3. Thank you so much for the interest and kind remarks. I do hope all of you can come to the hinterlands and hear us, but bring a lip, and we will put you to work.
    Bill

4. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

when I was at the Gettysburg battlefield visitor's centrum, a couple of day's ago, there was a display case with brass instruments (saxhorns) from the civil war era, but unfortunately enough no live performances :(

5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Prof Arnold Myers (Edinburgh University) used to run a Victorian Brass Band, with period instruments. I don't know whether he still maintains occasional rehearsals or performances.

6. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Hey Bill,
    I've had problems loading the Independent Silver Band website (even before this thread). It keeps timing out, any ideas?

Thanks

7. I don't know why it would do that, but I am pretty technologically challenged. I have not heard of anyone having such problems. Does anyone have an Idea?

Jan you were there about two weeks too soon. The 33rd. Illinois Volunteers Regimental Band will be playing at Gettysburg in two weeks. I was asked to go on that tour, but I am getting ready for a performance sponsored by the Smithsonian Institution about brass bands at the turn of the century, with an antique instrument display, and our tour to Northfield Minnesota for the Vintage Band Festival. The festival has a number of bands from Civil War to present.

I am very flattered by the interest here. Thank you.

https://www.33rdband.com
    http://www.vintagebandfestival.org

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  8. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Got in today...neat stuff...Especially the Repertoire...lots of lesser known gems in there I'm sure!

9. We have some new(old) ones since then. This weekend we will be playing at The Old Courthouse in St. Louis, and all of the music must be pre 1860