Inadvertent rude words still being asterisked!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Dave Payn, Sep 23, 2004.

1. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

We're still getting words that contain a 'rude' word inside it asterisked out. Is there something that can be done as it's getting a little irritating. So far...

A mis-spelt Middlesb0rough

amongst those mentionable!

I'm just glad words like t'rump'et, amu'semen't, al'bum' are still ok! What about 'repe'tit'ion, 'bra'ss, and any mention of the footballer Nicky Butt? (which I always thought was an unfortunate injury caused by sitting on broken glass....)
  2. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

it's on the list! we're busy people you know!

we'll get to it shortly... promise..
  3. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

:) Ta.
  4. jpbray

jpbray Member

Arsenel :p :p
  5. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Probably my feeling for the English language is not as good as most other people's, but is "bl00dy" such a bad word?
    (I noticed this, when I tried to post "Sunday, bl00dy sunday" in Tune Association...)
  6. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Aye folks... Kepps is correct. There is a list of items I need to look into as long as my arm... I promise to get around to these soon... honestly.

We'll consider the word you mention as well jan.
  7. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

It depends which context its used in I suppose. When talking about lots of blood, then it's ok, but used as a swear word, it's not the worst, but it is not nice all the same!
  8. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

No problem John. We appreciate all the work you do!

Maybe we can help you a bit and use this thread to make a list of strange asterisk-interventions, so that you can use it as a reference when you come round to addressing this item on your to do list...
  9. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Excellent idea... I'd have to do a search otherwise. Thanks.
  10. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

11. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Yes, the asterisker is a little sensitive. If we can't even go to sunny Scunny....
  12. rutty

rutty Active Member

Scunthorpe is quite rude though ;)

*edit* bah - this forum software is clever enough to get round the old use-tags-to-insert-swearwords cheat
  13. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Open sacred etymology mode

"Without wishing to get all sacred and start another war of attrition, Bl00dy has some varying origins, but the one I am most familiar with is the contraction of "By Our Lady" which does offend some people. Our Lady being the Blessed Virgin Mary."

Close sacred etymology mode
  14. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I do like the use of alternative characters in saying swear words. It seems to dilute the mal-intentions for me.

For some reason ******* doesn't seam quite as bad as *******, nor does **** seem quite as bad as ****.

Edit: Although the automatic bleeper may be having a bit of a 'mare, the 'manual bleeper' is in fine working order! (Dyl)
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2004
  15. HBB

HBB Active Member

Patrick! I'm disgusted!!!!
  16. DublinBass

**** you must be ****ed off!! Nobody calls me ****ing Patrick, except my parents when I've been real bad!! ;)
  17. HBB

HBB Active Member

What the h€ll am I supposed to call you them? PAM?!

18. DublinBass

I really need one of those "€" keys on my keyboard!!

BTW, 'Pat'...or 'PJ' would do :)
  19. HBB

HBB Active Member

I just charmapped it! :)
  20. HBB

HBB Active Member

Or you can Alt Gr 4 it :)