In Trouble Later?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by alks, Feb 10, 2004.

1. alks

alks Member

I was wondering, having printed off a number of free pieces of band music offered on the web (sibelius music, RTB band ect) if they later become published pieces, does this mean the copies i printed for free are now illegal? A few pieces whcih i have printed off are no-longer available because off this situation. How can you prove you printed it when it was free? What is the law here?

2. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

i wondered that.
    have never used them but there were some brilliant pieces there
  3. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

No! The fact that they are available to download on the internet already means that they are being published by the composer/arranger (in agreement with the site that they are being downloaded from) with an exclusive condition to be able to 'download' for free.
    If at any time the music is published by another person/company that music would probably cease to exist in its current form and would be issued with the new copyright.

To give you an example: The published arrangement of 'The Lone Ar-ranger' (Thornes Music) was up until recently available to download from I entered into an agreement with the arranger who accepted my offer to publish the music. The music was withdrawn from and is now only available from myself. The music now carries my copyright and is published as a 'new' piece.

Hope that explains the situation.

4. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Would the copies just disappear or would something more dramatic happen, such as spontaneous combustion??? :roll:

5. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Definitely more dramatic - the copies turn into the Evil Windband - Arrrrrgh!

Incidentaly Dave, I enjoyed your performance of 'Tallis Variations' on Sunday. It made a refreshing change to all the area pieces being played.
    Shame about the shirt though! :lol:

6. alks

alks Member

Thanks Roger,

Some of the free music i have printed off do not have copyright info on them apart from an e-mail address, so i better write on the music where it came from.
    Also my advice to anyone is print off any free music now, before it becomes a published piece. Unfortunately a lot of it is not that great (a waste of ink)so perhaps we could compile a list of what is good and bad so that we don't waste time.

I'll start the ball rolling, our band have found this to be a good free Fanfare

Fanfare for the prairie.

Alks :wink:
  7. Lothianh

Lothianh Member

I'm glad that you enjoy it, and that someone has noticed that those pieces are on our website!

Randy Steinberg wrote "Fanfare for the Prairie" for the Prairie Brass Band several years ago and we have performed it numerous times. It has also been recorded on our CD "Listen to the Prairie Brass Band". A brief sound sample is also available.

Another favorite of mine among Randy's works is "A Christmas Celebration In Brass", an imaginative pastiche of something like 30 different carols and seasonal songs. Great fun to play during the Christmas season.

8. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

You'll all have to excuse me if I'm a little slow here. A night practicing Cov. Var. and a few pints normally sees to that! But how does this afect our PRS returns. Do we fill in these "free" pieces or do you not get any money from them at all?

BTW are we the only band that bothers with PRS returns??? :?
  9. alks

alks Member

What is a PRS return?? :roll:
  10. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

It's when you thought you got rid of Dave Payne, but he keeps coming back..
  11. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Keppler, you shining wit! ;-) :lol:

For that, I shall bombard these boards with an even BIGGER barrage of bad jokes than before! Ha ha ha ha haaaaaaaa! :twisted:
  12. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

Back on Topic anyway... who was that who went off?
    I have no idea... :roll: