In search of Alan Fernie's arrangement of 'America' from West Side Story.

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by toppy the tenor, Jan 10, 2006.

1. Ladies and gents

I'm hoping someone out there will be able to help me with this. I'm trying to get hold of the full band set of Alan Fernie's arrangement of 'America' from a West Side Story. It features on the Tredegar CD 'Brass on Broadway' and would be a great addition to our concert programmes for this year but I can't find it at any of the normal publishers.

If anyone knows how I can get it (or if anyone can ask Mr Fernie personally!) I'd appreciate it.

2. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Maybe Obrasso , I think it might have been commissioned for the recording..
  3. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

4. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

He's taking us to the Scottish so if he's at tonight's rehearsal I'll ask him.
  5. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Bad news dude. According to Alan it's not been published. Obrasso have it but there is apparently some problem with the copyrights. The only kown set in existence is Alans original manuscript.
  6. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I looked for this earlier, and I thought it might be something like that. I tried to get Mark Freeh's stunning arrangement of Tonight earlier this year, and was told it wasn't available because there are "huge copyright problems with it". I suspected that the Bernstein estate have put their foot down and refused permission.

7. Thanks for all your efforts guys. I thought it might be something like that. What a shame.

8. toby hobson

toby hobson Member

Does anyone know if this has been sorted out yet, its the best version done for band by miles.....IMHO!!!!