In need of Nicea - William Himes arrangement.

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by toppy the tenor, Oct 13, 2004.

1. People

I'm trying to get hold of a copy of an arrangement of the hymn Nicea by William Himes (I think). It's about 4 mins long and is absolutely gorgeous with a cornet solo feature bit at the end.

I used to play it with my old band Test Valley Brass (a recording is available on our CD 'Take One' available at all bad records stors and probably service stations!). I've looked on all the music websites I can find including the Salvationist Publishers site but can't find it.

If anyone out there knows how I can go about getting a copy I'd really appreciate hearing from you.

Cheers.

Toppy

2. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

I believe that this was published by the SA in Chicago, in the American Festival Series. You might be able to get it from worldofbrass.com (??), or you could contact the Music Department at SA Territorial Headquarters in Chicago, go to http://www.usc.salvationarmy.org/ and use the "contact us" link from the menu to leave a message.

3. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Hi Toppy

The one arr by William Himes is published by S P & S I believe. I'm sure Mr Bale will confirm or deny this!

Have to agree with you its a great arrangement, one of my favourites

4. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

Published by The Salvation Army USA Central Territory in their American Festival Series.
    Unfortunately, it's long since been deleted from our stock but if you want a set I'll make enquiries.

5. Heather

Heather Member

Its one of my all time favourite pieces. Its beautiful and you're right about the cornet bit!
    I used to play it with Eagley Band in Bolton and we recorded it too. If you don't have any luck then PM me and I'll see what I can do about getting you a set sorted.

6. Thanks for all your help huys. I'll try WoB and S P & S and see how I get on. I could get in touch with my old band and ask for a set but I don't believe in photocopying music.........it just ain't right.

Toppy

7. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

As mentioned before, we don't have copies of this anymore but the journal in which it is in looks like it is still available from the USA. I hope this link works;
    https://secure1.salvationarmy.org/s...78D1442D3AC9E192802569CA003FD9CC?opendocument

Also in this journal is a cracking arrangement by Ray Steadman-Allen called Simple Gifts. We know the tune as The Lord of the Dance.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2004
  8. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

Also in the same journal is a fantastic James Curnow piece entitled Laude and to complete the journal, a catchy March by Ivor Bosanko entitled Rocky Mountain Centennial.

Our band have used all of these pieces and this journal is well worth buying!!