In Memorium RK

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Lauradoll, May 5, 2007.

1. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Having had a wee tootle through this the other night at band, it did leave me wondering....

Who is RK? I did a search on google but after reading through pages of information about concerts, the Masters and the like, I am still none the wiser.

Can someone please put me out of my misery?!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    tootle
    RK
    pages
    information
    someone
  3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Rudolph Kempe, the German conductor who died in 1976.

4. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Ah, before I was born.......

5. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

:oops:

It was premiered at the first concert ever went to when I was 6.

Kempe was one of Howarth's favourite conductors and idols and was famed for his interpretations of Richard Strauss amongst others......hence the style of the composition of In Memoriam RK....

I'm pretty sure that this stuff is in the score notes, but if it isn't I'll dig out one of the recordings and remind myself what the sleevenotes say (unless Brassneck beats me to it ;) )

Last edited: May 5, 2007
  6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- sleevenotes on the Britannia album really don't reveal too much about the guy apart from the Strauss/Mahler performances he conducted.

Howarth says

7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I've also checked the presenter's notes for when Dyke performed it at the 1997 Festival Of Brass and only Wagner was added to R. Strauss and Gustav Mahler.

8. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

I've got the signed programme from the premiere somewhere....it might be at my mum's house though...I can't remember if there's more in that or whether it was on the audio tape my Dad had of the concert (shhh!).

The sleevenotes from Besses' "Showcase for Brass" adds only "In this work, Howarth has deliberately written in pastiche style, not only as tribute to this great conductor, but also in an attempt to fill a gap in the brass band repertoire, hitherto devoid of any music in this style." ( (c) Roy Newsome)

9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

There's not a great deal of information I could find about this piece ... however it does contain (again) references to Mosaic (and there is nothing usual about that!).