In Memorium - Butlins 2013 2nd Section

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by mjwarman, Nov 22, 2012.

1. mjwarman

mjwarman Member

Hi all,

I was wondering if any other bands have been having difficulties with this piece. We have had a few runs through now (of both the original score, and also the 'new correct' score) and there are some glaring mistakes in both scores and some very contentious markings. There are obvious wrong notes in the 2nd Cornet parts at E on the first page of the 'new score', which although in the wrong place, seemed to work musically in the original. The are also wrong notes in the Horns, Flugel and Trombones at V where are arranger seems to switch from Minor to Major and back again by accident, these were also wrong in the original, but not as wrong. There is an issue where shorthand crotchets have been written (minims marked with a single line through the stem) in a few places (E in the Horns and Baritones for example) but in comparison to the orchestral score and also in perspective with what is going on at the same time around it, it appears that it should be quavers!?

Surely less than a couple of months before the piece is going to make its maiden appearance at a prestigious contest, the basics should be correct and leave bands without any sense of confusion? Contact has been made with Pennine Music, but so far no firm solution has been achieved. It does though seem that Neville Buxton (a pseudonym?) doesn't really know what he wants.

Obviously the opinions in this thread are my own and not those of my band, but I do know that the hour we spent at rehearsal last night trying to iron out the problems were very frustrating for all involved.

Any thoughts/comments?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Butlins
    Memorium
    Cornet
    Horns
    Neville Buxton
  3. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

According to the Oxford Dictionary of music, a minim with a single line through the stem is shorthand for quavers, not crotchets. Also see here: http://www.vicfirth.com/education/features/webrhythms/19.php

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  4. mjwarman

mjwarman Member

Well that's cleared that one up, thank you.

5. mjwarman

mjwarman Member

Any ideas on the rest of the issues?

6. Ianroberts

Ianroberts Well-Known Member

Maybe it is all correct and hunky dory. Maybe, just maybe Kapitol decided to re-write it ?

just an idea

7. Hello Matt,

The notes at letter 'V' are as the arranger has written and confirmed to us on several occasions, so we as a publisher must publish what is written by the arranger.

The short-hand writing of quavers (minim with a slash through the stem) is an acceptable way of writing large sections of quavers as they, to most, are much easier to read than 20+ bars of repeated quavers.

We have been in touch with your bands MD to confirm the two wrong notes in the Repiano and Second Cornet parts after letter 'E'. Your band MD will no doubt tell you that we have offered to send a replacement set of Repiano and Second Cornet parts, as well as a new score for these two incorrect notes, if required. We are also in the process of contacting all bands to make this offer and to make them aware of the error.

8. mjwarman

mjwarman Member

Thanks for the responses. In response to ianroberts, Kapitol wouldn't rewrite it; they'd just call it In Memoriam (I realise now that I've spelt it wrong!) and make it sound the same, but insist you play their version instead! :)

No offence was meant to Pennine Music, I am aware that you can only publish what you are given. The band, (not MD, he's a complete technophobe) received the errata via email this morning with the offer of new copies of the parts with wrong notes and new score, which is exceptionally good service.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  9. euphymike

euphymike Member

mmm. Yes we know. The band had a couple of runs at it last week. I found the eight notes to the bar at 120 bpm thoroughly enjoyable the first and second time through. After that I realised I needed to leave a few notes out here and there to breath and therefore stop going blue in the chops!

An engaging piece if nothing else.

Good luck with it!

Mike Ulliott
    First Baritone
    St Albans City Band

10. ISBBBb2

ISBBBb2 Member

To back up pennine, the service has been pretty top drawer. We had highlighted a few issues in the music and raised them with Gavin and we had a very prompt response along with replacement parts without question. As Pennine states, they can only publish what they are given to publish by the composer.

Aside from the "mistakes" we are having fun with 'In Memoriam'! Bring on Butlins!

11. ISBBBb2

ISBBBb2 Member

At the risk of opening the proverbial can of worms here, will we all be singing from the same hymn sheet on Saturday (figuratively speaking...)

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Butlins
    Memorium
    Cornet
    Horns
    Neville Buxton
  13. cockaigne

cockaigne Member

Slightly off topic, but does anyone else find it odd that the arranger is credited, but not the composer - this was one of Arthur Sullivan's greatest successes in his own lifetime. Seems a great shame that he's being overlooked now - In Memoriam indeed!

14. bassmittens

bassmittens Member

The orchestral version of the piece is great (also known as Overture in C I believe) - a very Sullivan sounding piece.

15. cockaigne

cockaigne Member

Well, it was written by him... ;) Orchestral version = the original...?

16. bassmittens

bassmittens Member

Yes thank you.....you know what i mean ;)

17. John Morton

John Morton Member

I share your frustration, especially since it's fairly straightforward for a publisher to remove 99.9% of errors. I use a checklist and tick off all elements religiously in turn; tempo markings, dynamics, reference letters, etc. etc. I then have the arrangement test-flown by a local band. Very occasionally an error is still found, but nothing like the problems we all encounter far too often. Wrong notes can be spotted during the playback in the notation program. A good soundfont helps here, of course.

18. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Do you mean that it was written by Sullivan or Buxton originally? I've only seen it written "arr. Buxton" on the interweb.

19. ISBBBb2

ISBBBb2 Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overture_in_C_(In_Memoriam)

Aurthur Sullivans music

"arranged" by Neville Buxton,

re-arranged by the 2nd section of Butlins 2013!!

20. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Thanks for that. Have updated the BBR entry for the piece accordingly.

21. euphymike

euphymike Member

yep mobid piece about the sdeath of his father. typically victorian. like polishing up knocker on the door or something similar?????

22. leginald

leginald New Member

I wonder if Mr. Buxton will be attending the contest this weekend to hear his arrangement? I would like an opportunity to ask him a few questions!